• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

exhaust pipe size

houdel

3.5" OD, not ID, as I recall. It does mak a difference if you are buying parts. Westech, Will, am I right on that?

Westech

CPL
well.... pipe size is all the same its the mufflers and flanges you need to know the OD or ID. pipe size is OD and mufflers and such ade ID (ID means it will fit over OD)

houdel

Not true. Some companies specify thier components in OD, some in ID, some in OD/ID. I had to do some custom exhaust plumbing on my Deuce, it took a lot of time at the parts store looking through the parts books figuring what combinations of IDs and ODs and adapters I needed to get everything to fit. Some parts were OD/OD, some were ID/ID, some were OD/ID. You have to look at the parts book and see if the part you want is OD/OD, ID/ID or OD/ID and plan your job accordingly.

Simply example. You want to buy an elbow to mount your air intake mushroom vertically to minimize intake of rain/snow. The air inlet is 4", so you buy a 4" elbow, right? WRONG, the air inlet is 4" OD, the mushroom cap is 4" ID, so you need a 4" OD x 4" ID elbow.

houdel

It is not all that simple, you have to know if the part you are working with is spec'd in OD or ID. Pipe size is NOT all the same, USUALLY OD, but not always, fittings can be OD or ID, you have to ask. Some companies specify thier components in OD, some in ID, some in OD/ID. I had to do some custom exhaust plumbing on my Deuce, it took a lot of time at the parts store looking through the parts books figuring what combinations of IDs and ODs and adapters I needed to get everything to fit. Some parts were OD/OD, some were ID/ID, some were OD/ID. You have to look at the parts book and see if the part you want is OD/OD, ID/ID or OD/ID and plan your job accordingly.

Simply example. You want to buy an elbow to mount your air intake mushroom vertically to minimize intake of rain/snow. The air inlet is 4", so you buy a 4" elbow, right? WRONG, a standard 4" elbow is 4" OD x 4" OD. the air inlet is 4" OD, the mushroom cap is 4" ID, so you need a 4" OD x 4" ID elbow. The 4" ID side of the elbow fit OVER the air filter inlet, the 4" ID side of the elbow fits INSIDE mushroom cap. Not rocket science, you just have to think about what you are trying to fit together.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct! A company called Dynaflex has just about anything you need, little pictures and everything!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks