• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Existing 24 volt supply to radios.

Mebuck

Just completing my restoring of 2001 - 1123 Humvee, last item is the wiring of aux lights and radios. My question is on the front passengers side, on the inboard side of the seat was a black thick cable coming up from the underside of the vehicle, however not sure where the source is coming from as it gets lost... After removal of outside cover, there are 2 sets of leads (black & red), both sets reading 24 vdc at all times. I will assume from some photos I researched, these leads (24vdc), supplied power to the radio rack and radios. My question: Can I use this same 24vdc supply to feed my 24-12vdc converter, and supply power to my 24vdc lights? Iron Mike

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to top right side of your page at your Avatar, the white M in the blue box. Click on it and a drop down box will appear. Click on Account details and then go down to Location and type in your state, then your in like “Flynn.”
Tom.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just completing my restoring of 2001 - 1123 Humvee, last item is the wiring of aux lights and radios. My question is on the front passengers side, on the inboard side of the seat was a black thick cable coming up from the underside of the vehicle, however not sure where the source is coming from as it gets lost... After removal of outside cover, there are 2 sets of leads (black & red), both sets reading 24 vdc at all times. I will assume from some photos I researched, these leads (24vdc), supplied power to the radio rack and radios. My question: Can I use this same 24vdc supply to feed my 24-12vdc converter, and supply power to my 24vdc lights? Iron Mike
That is indeed the 24VDC supply for a radio. It's wired directly to the battery terminal block. You can use it for a converter, BUT it is hot always, so you should consider a way to ensure the converter doesn't stay on all the time too, and drain your batteries slowly but surely.
I put a cannon plug on the end of mine, to supply a British man pack radio PRC-352, but it's not mounted in the truck at present.

Best of luck,
Bulldogger

Last edited:

Mebuck

That is indeed the 24VDC supply for a radio. It's wired directly to the battery terminal block. You can use it for a converter, BUT it is hot always, so you should consider a way to ensure the converter doesn't stay on all the time too, and drain your batteries slowly but surely.
I put a cannon plug on the end of mine, to supply a British man pack radio PRC-352, but it's not mounted in the truck at present.

Best of luck,
Bulldogger
Many Thanks my Brother in Arms! Great intel!

Mgantt

Does anyone know where this runs to on the battery/main harness? Want to get it removed so I don't have 24vdc at the left hand of anyone in the passenger seat. Right now, they are just cut off and covered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks