• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expansible 'slide outs'...?

tamangel

How do the slide out sections of the various expansible vans actually work? Are there model differences in operation? Does each panel fold out and then they are all connected / formed into a box shape or do they slide out as a 'box' unit already to go? If its the latter, are there tracks that they come out on or ..?

Just curious if they work like an RV slide out with built-ins moving with the section also. If they don't slide out , was the military's equipment only installed in the center section and the expanded areas were just for walk around work areas devoid of anything heavy?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

area52

RE: Expansible

There are rails on top and bottom that attach to the side. The top and bottom of the expanded part fold up against the wall and when you expand the side outward they swing up and down into place.

If you look in the Tech Manual section for the M313 trailer( I can't remember the #) it shows the operation of the whole thing.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

the wall section is on tracks on the bottom only that are driven by gears on a shaft running the length of the van. after the wall is run out, the end walls swing out past where they go, then the floor and roof which are actuated with a cable counter balance system swing up and down respectively. then the ends swing back in place. if everything is working right it is fairly easy for one person. this is for, i think, a M4 body

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Check out the details in TM 9-2330-238-14 in the TM section. You will see all the variations of expandible van bodies. The M313 trailer shares the same M4 body that the M791, M292 and M820 use.

tamangel

looking up TM's..

Thanks to everyone for all the info. This is probably a simple but newbie necessary question:

I was directed to: "Check out the details in TM 9-2330-238-14 in the TM section."

The TM quoted above isn't listed in the Technical Manuals section, at least by that nomenclature.. Is it under another set of numbers or some other place altogether..?

Mike

tamangel

Just verified that I am a newbie for sure. I didnt see the 'next page' on the bottom of the TM first page site.. take your shots now, I'm behind the wall..'aua'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks