• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extended Mirror bracket?

Hammer

Well, after picking up my 818, I noticed that the driver side mirror bracket is longer and has two additional braces.
I noticed the same bracket on a 10 ton, but didn't know if that was stock, or added later.

I like this bracket, it is SOLID. Not all the vibrations that the normal ones have, and it holds the mirror out at a nice width for really seeing behind me.
I did notice that it does get close to other trucks if they pass by close to my lane though!

This picture shows one of the additional braces.
So, where do I get another one for the passenger side? Besides just making one.

Attachments

bigelk50

Well I would say that your bracket is added on. Your right though, those ones are alot more solid. You might ask Dirt if he has one laying around.

That 818 will go good with your collection!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recommend that you replace them. As stated above, that is a 10 ton mirror arm. They stick out awfully far...so far, in fact, that you might hit another truck's mirrors when driving down the road or approaching head on. Ask me how I know that! I was headed one way and a box truck was headed toward me, and our mirrors smacked each other. Admittedly, the box truck was right on the center line. Anyway, I am just giving you my perspective.

Nice tractor, though.

oilcan

I just took the wide bracket off the curb-side of my tractor. It was ok for highway driving, not terribly bad on back roads, and absolutely horrible off road. I always had to disconnect it from the cowl, fold it against the door, and tie it to the door handle while playing in the woods.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a set of those wide brackets on my deuce. I measured the distance a west coast mirror stuck out then cut the wide mirror brackets down so the mirror was at the same location. You can't tell they didn't come that way and they are very solid. Sorry no pics.:roll:

oilcan

With so many "WestCoast" style, "Bridgetruck and GM" style, I wonder why I keep buying "bicycle" style mirror trucks? They do fold back nice for off-roading though!

I love the tiny little "elephant ears" that are on my first deuce. They're about perfect for offroading and pretty decent for the highway, too!

Hammer

completely OT, but is that hammer lane off the 5 in stockton? my Mother lives right off March lane.
That is exactly where that picture was taken. Wife was following me in the pickup and got a perfectly timed shot for that picture.

As for the mirrors, after driving 700 miles and using both mirrors, I have to say that for on road use, the bridge truck mirrors are GREAT! They are stable, give a great view, and seem like a good fit for pulling a big trailer/load.

That being said, I would like to have two sets, one bridge truck style for hauling, and one normal style for off road usage. It wouldn't really take all that much effort to swap them out, and I think it would be worth it.