• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

extra glow plug relay

2deuce

I have what looks to be an extra glow plug relay mounted over the fuel filter. I would leave well enough alone but my batterys aren't holding a charge and the wait light isn't staying on long enough when the truck is cold, it can be hard to start. Anyone seen this set up?

Attachments

Crash_AF

Wow, that's all kinds of non-regulation....

First off, where does the relay on the passenger's side get triggered from? It appears to shut off main 12V power to the truck when de-energized. If I'm looking at the picture right, the black wire goes to the battery? and then there is a jumper wire from the big terminal to the small terminal on the left, then there is a ground from the small terminal on the right which goes to the main ground block. Then the red wire is the feed wire to the diamond shaped main 12V terminal which has been moved from its stock location for some reason.

The driver's side is even more confusing because the relay has been moved from its stock location as well. The two orange wires are the feed to the glow plugs but they seem to have some kind of jumper terminal that runs over to the plastic block that it is mounted on.

I'm almost willing to bet that the relay on the driver's side is not a ground isolated relay.

Here's what I would do. Remove the left relay all together. Take the red wire from the right side of the relay and extend all the way to the negative side of the rear battery. Remove all of the remaining wiring that was attached to it.

Remove the right relay entirely. Move the triangle shaped block that is to the left of the relay in pic 2 and put it back in the stock location which is where that hodgepodge glow plug relay is now.

Now put the relay from the left side on the right side. Its proper mounting location is on the lip to the left of the master cylinder that has the two big and three small holes. Mount it there.

Then go through the TM and install the wires for the glow plug system in their correct locations. The orange wires go on one side, and the red wire from the resistor goes to the other terminal. The small orange wire goes to the same large terminal as the large orange wire. The only ones left should be the pink wire and the light blue wire. One goes on each small terminal.

I don't know what other wires you have going in there, but those are the only ones that should go to the relay. You can track down and remove anything else that was hooked up there.

Later,
Joe

2deuce

I pulled both relays off. The one over the fuel filter says 80 12 volt on the bottom not 85. I don't want to damage anything so is this 80 not useable?

Thanks

2deuce

I called napa they said the ST85 was continous duty and the ST80 was not. Unless anyone knows better it sounds like I can use it since my glow plugs aren't continous.

Crash_AF

I'm pretty sure that the one you have is fine. Continuous duty is for things like winches and what not where they will be energized for longer periods of time. If you're really concerned, buy a new relay and replace it.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks