• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extra Oil and Larger Filter for the 6.2

Jozseph

FWIW....... Today I changed the oil in my M1031 for the first time, I purchase the truck on 09/16/2014. I decided to use the NAPA 1794* filter, this filter holds an additional 2 quarts of oil.

*Wix 51794 is the same filter, they are manufactured by Wix for NAPA

In my opinion the additional oil and filtering capacity can benefit the motor.

Regards

Joseph

llong66

I have been doing that for mine for over two years now, use two gallons at each change, no problems so far!

Last edited:

Drock

The only thing I'd be worried about would be a possible drop in oil pressure do to the added volume the pump has the move before the oil gets to the engine. Do you have an oil pressure gauge in this truck? I've bin doing something similar to my old dodge work van. I ran ah ford M08A in place of the dodge PH16 for 200000 miles. And it's worked great, but It only added ah half quart.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big block engines in Chevy and GMC medium duty trucks came out factory with this filter a long time ago. I have never seen any problem with the spin on adapter. This long filter actually adds 1 quart capacity above a standard filter. The increased filtration media is as big a plus as the increased oil capacity.

goldneagle

The only thing I'd be worried about would be a possible drop in oil pressure do to the added volume the pump has the move before the oil gets to the engine. Do you have an oil pressure gauge in this truck? I've bin doing something similar to my old dodge work van. I ran ah ford M08A in place of the dodge PH16 for 200000 miles. And it's worked great, but It only added ah half quart.
The added capacity of the filter does not have anything to do with the amount in the crank case where the oil pump gets the oil so engine would lube up the same at starting time.

The only truck that might have that problem would me a Deuce where the oil filter empties out when the engine is off. It takes longer to build up oil pressure.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a good idea to fully fill any oil filter before installing on these engines, but it is especially important to fill the "2 quart" filter to prevent dry starts!

Drock

The added capacity of the filter does not have anything to do with the amount in the crank case where the oil pump gets the oil so engine would lube up the same at starting time.

The only truck that might have that problem would me a Deuce where the oil filter empties out when the engine is off. It takes longer to build up oil pressure.
I think your missing something. After the oil is picked up from the pan ,it travels through the pump, THEN the oil filter , BEFORE the engine. Soo if you add ah larger filter between the pump and the engine. Your asking the oil pump to pressurize much more volume. Thus there has to be a measurable loss in pressure. Also I would imagine that the sides of the larger filter would flex much more then ah stocker. Think of it like ah brake master cylinder. The larger the bore ,the less pressure you get to the calipers.

Last edited:

donalloy1

Is this a smart upgrade or not? Increased filter media and oil in system seems to make sense. Has anyone done in depth studies related to CUCV's/6.2 power pack on this matter?

southdave

I think your missing something. After the oil is picked up from the pan ,it travels through the pump, THEN the oil filter , BEFORE the engine. Soo if you add ah larger filter between the pump and the engine. Your asking the oil pump to pressurize much more volume. Thus there has to be a measurable loss in pressure. Also I would imagine that the sides of the larger filter would flex much more then ah stocker. Think of it like ah brake master cylinder. The larger the bore ,the less pressure you get to the calipers.
I was always thought it was more of displacement, than pressure differential

TGP (IL)

Is this a smart upgrade or not? Increased filter media and oil in system seems to make sense. Has anyone done in depth studies related to CUCV's/6.2 power pack on this matter?
Haven't done any studies but I can tell you I have run the larger filter on all my Chevy V8 Gas and Diesels for over 30 years,
Never an issue. In fact as stated this was used on all medium, heavy duty trucks with the V8 small or large block.
Some people overthink things.
Tom

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, I have ran a stock size filter on all my 6.2 stuff since my first one. Well over half million miles without an oil related issue. Not saying the added oil is a bad thing but it's very very low on my "to do" list.

Jozseph

An old postings at http://www.irv2.com from 08/2007 - Titled "What Filter is better" ;

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/what-filter-is-better-15090.html

Review the entire thread, the comments posted by user "RustyJC", postings number's 12, 17, 24, 28 , 35, 36, 45, 46 are the substance on the issue. My opinion this person{"RustyJC"] is very knowledgeable on the subject.

More thought and questions; would adding a Oil Bypass Filtration System be of REAL value?

richingalveston

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ote-oil-bypass-unit/?page=/storefront/bf.aspx

I had one similar to this on my duramax. 225,000 miles before I was t-boned and the truck gone. I used amsoil since I got the truck with 6k miles (dealer demo)
I used amsoil and changed oil every 15000 miles never had oil tested. The truck did not burn a drop of oil between 15k oil changes even after 225k.

The nice thing is it also allows you to remote the oil filters and thus mount them in a better location

richingalveston

while looking on the Amsoil site to see if they supported the 6.2 J code engine and it appears they do. found this:

1984 GMC TRUCKS K2500 4WD HD PICKUP 6.2L 8-cyl Engine Code [J] Diesel
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......CF-4SAE 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil (AMEQT) SAE 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil (AMEQT)
Drain Interval Information

Premium 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil (DMEQT) Premium 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil (DMEQT)
Drain Interval Information

Synthetic 15W40 OE Diesel Oil (OEDQT) Synthetic 15W40 OE Diesel Oil (OEDQT)
Above 0 F......15W-40 [1]
Above 32 F......30
Below 61 F......10W-30
Manual Transmission,4-SPD......GLS [2]
All TEMPS......
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)
OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTFQT)
Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (ATD1G)
Manual Transmission,4-SPD......GL-5
All TEMPS......80W-90, 80W [3]
SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVGQT)
Manual Transmission,3-SPD......GL-5
All TEMPS......80W-90, 80W [3]
Manual Transmission,3-SPD......GLS [2]
All TEMPS......
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)
Automatic Transmission,THM700-R4......AF6 [4]
Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) (ATLQT)
OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTLQT)
Automatic Transmission,THM400......AF6 [4]
Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) (ATLQT)
OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTLQT)
Differential, Rear W/ 10.5 RG Others......GL-5
All TEMPS......80W-90 [3]
Differential, Rear W/ 10.5 RG Dana......GL-5
Differential, Front......GL-5
All TEMPS......80W-90 [5]
Differential, Rear W/ 9.75 RG......GL-5
Differential, Rear W/ 8.8 RG......GL-5
Differential, Rear W/ 9.5 RG......GL-5
Differential, Rear W/ 8.5 RG......GL-5
Differential, Rear W/ 12.25 RG......GL-5
Transfer Case,NP208......GLS [3]
Transfer Case,NP205......GLS [3]
Fluids
Brake Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN) [6]
Power Steering Fluid......PS
Power Steering Fluid (PSFCN) [7]
[1] SAE 15W-40 is preferred.
[2] GM recommends Part No. 88861800 (Canada 88861801)
or equivalent for manual transmission, transfer
case applications.
[3] 1984-90, In Canada use 80W only.
[4] This specification has been updated from Dexron II or III to
Dexron VI per a Technical Service Bulletin from the
manufacturer
[5] GM P/N 1052271
[6] Hydraulic Brake Fluid, DOT 3 P/N 12377967, Spec. 9986121
[7] GM P/N 1052884, Spec 9985010

FILTERS:
Oil Filter25,000-Mile Ea Oil Filter (EAO24)
Oil FilterWIX 51061 Oil Filter
Air FilterAbsolute Efficiency Air Filter (EAA25)
Fuel FilterWIX 33136 Fuel Filter
Transmission FilterWIX 58897 Trans Filter [1]
Transmission FilterWIX 58881 Auto Tran Filter [2]

[1] 4 Speed
[2] 3 Speed

NGK PLUGS AND WIRESETS:
No Recommendations

WIPER BLADES:
Blade ClassDriverPassenger
ExactFitT162
ExactFitT161 T162
ExactFit T161
NeoFormT16160 T16160
WinterT37160 T37160

CAPACITIES:
Engine, with filter..........7 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........24.8 quarts
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, THM400 Initial Fill..........4.3 quarts
Automatic Transmission, THM700-R4 Initial Fill..........5 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed THM700-R4..........11.5 quarts
3 speed THM400..........11 quarts
Manual Transmission, 4-SPD..........8 pints
Manual Transmission, 3-SPD..........3 pints
Differential, Front..........4 pints
Differential, With 10.5 RingGear Dana Rear..........5.5 pints
Differential, With 10.5 RingGear Othe Rear..........7.2 pints
Differential, With 12.25 RingGear Rear..........13.9 pints
Differential, With 8.5 RingGear Rear..........4.2 pints
Differential, With 8.8 RingGear Rear..........3.6 pints
Differential, With 9.5 RingGear Rear..........5.5 pints
Differential, With 9.75 RingGear Rear..........5.5 pints
Transfer Case, NP205..........5.1 pints [2]
Transfer Case, NP208..........10.1 pints [3]
[1] After refill check oil level.
[2] With NP205 fill no higher than 1 inch below filler plug.
[3] Identification: check tag on case.

TORQUES:
Manual Transmission 3-SPD
Fill Plug 13 ft/lbs
Manual Transmission 4-SPD W/ SLC
Fill Plug NA ft/lbs
Drain Plug NA ft/lbs
Manual Transmission 4-SPD W/ TLC
Fill Plug 30 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 30 ft/lbs
Transfer Case NP205
Fill Plug 33 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 33 ft/lbs

Transfer Case NP208
Fill Plug 35 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 35 ft/lbs

Jozseph

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ote-oil-bypass-unit/?page=/storefront/bf.aspx

I had one similar to this on my duramax. 225,000 miles before I was t-boned and the truck gone. I used amsoil since I got the truck with 6k miles (dealer demo)
I used amsoil and changed oil every 15000 miles never had oil tested. The truck did not burn a drop of oil between 15k oil changes even after 225k.

The nice thing is it also allows you to remote the oil filters and thus mount them in a better location
Rich,

Do you think the Amsoil Oil Bypass Filtration System is worth the cost?

The current Retail Price is around $410.00

Drock

Well I've bin reading up on this subject all over the net and have gotten no definite answer . But this link seems to support my theory ah bit. If you notice from the Amsoil schematics there using a spring loaded restrictor in there system. I'm assuming to help maintain oil pressure.

Last edited:

Jozseph

FWIW ........... the copy below is from; http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/what-filter-is-better-15090-3.html

Posting Number 35

"If your comment relates to higher oil pressure with a larger filter, the reason the oil pressure at the engine's oil feed gallery might be higher is that there's less pressure loss across an oil filter with a larger surface area, all else being equal. Since the filter bypasses based on differential pressure, the larger filter, having a larger surface area and less pressure drop, is less likely to bypass than a smaller filter.

Rusty"

Posting number 38

"With a larger filter surface area downstream of the oil pump, system resistance is lessened, not increased. Since the pump is attempting to move a fixed volume at a given RPM, the discharge pressure of the pump would be lessened with less system resistance, not increased. The scenarios might look like this (just picking arbitrary numbers):

Small filter:

Lube oil pump discharge pressure - 70 PSIG
Filter differential pressure - 10 PSIG
Engine header pressure - 70 - 10 = 60 PSIG

Large filter:

Lube oil pump discharge pressure - 68 PSIG
Filter differential pressure - 6 PSIG
Engine header pressure - 68 - 6 = 62 PSIG

If the filter bypass is spring loaded to open at 20PSID differential pressure, the small filter has 20 - 10 = 10 PSID margin to bypass while the large filter has 20 - 6 = 14 PSID margin to bypass.

Rusty
"

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks