• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fabricating a Steel Cab for a Deuce

DanMartin

Pretty cool. I like the wind flap idea on the door seal.

However, you can get fiberglass tops that bolt right on for pretty cheap...and they never rust. Not sure I'd go through the trouble of building my own, but that's me (I'm lazy like that).

chvss65

Me either, Iam not that handy
But just incase some ones got the time and ability
would be a project
bunch of other stuff on the site for deuces

SEAFIRE

The place that converted our M35A2 Brush fire truck in 2005 made us a somewhat thick steel cab for free, the steel press operator did a good job on the rounded corners, the profile is not military, but it works.

The M35A2 we put in service this year, we just bought a fiberglass cab from Boyce equipment and had it painted with the rest of the truck.

A helpful Federal Forest Service Employee gave us the web address for Roscomm some time back, the information there is invaluable.

Attachments

m35tech

I know I will be redoing/over hauling the hard top on my unit, not much holding them together, 1- 1 1/2 inch weld length, I will probably take it off, fix the rust, dents, PM it and fix the welds, zinc it and repaint it, I may have to build up one of those hard tops for the heck of it.

ida34

is there any weakness with using a different cap on the truck or is it a strength over the military ones that are already in place?:?:

No weakness. Figure the trucks going around with soft tops. Part of the point of this top is to add some protection. It is over engineered to provide more protection from falling debris then either the soft top or the military hard top.

nattieleather

I saw the title and I was like why would one want to scratch build a cab for the truck.....Just pull another off the many that are out there...then I read it and realized your not talking about the caB but making a caP or a top. Was a bit confusing to me.

TenTires

Some really neat info, ESPECIALLY the brake resevoir relocating kit. Thanks!!:-D (Hey guys, theres a lot more info there than just the hard top conversion. Definately worth a look see)

Last edited:

ida34

There was another write up by a member (I can't remember who) on a remote reservoir addition he did using an Integra (honda works also) master cylinder. It work not only as a remote reservoir. It also had an internal level switch so you could add a warning light for low brake fluid. I just one an auction for the master and plan on doing the conversion myself this summer. Do a search for integra and master cylinder and I am sure the post will pop up.