• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan clutch for deuce

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there are hubs available. Do you want one activated by the heat across the core, air over water or electric over water? I would go with air over water or electric over water.
The hard part is finding a fan that fits in the shroud and on the hub. I'm workin' on it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
sure but wouldn't an electric be easier? look up the electric used on the trans oil cooler of 5 ton fmtv. it's in the frame under the bed, it looks like it would be a good choice and is 24 volt. i have one but have not gotten to it yet.

will, my vote is for air over water since you already have air.......... just need a thermostatic valve. no electric needed

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not enough CFM for just an electric fan, like a transcool one...well in hot areas, Ca, Az, etc. I have an electro magnetic hub that we had on a field test engine. Same bolt pattern as the w/p , but having issues finding a fan that fits the hub that fits the shroud. As for the controller, a Kaiser N/C-N/O switch will work great! Again, I have pics, but, I let my mailboxes get too full, so I need to wait for them to be cleaned out from the server...I think.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, BTW, it's NOT cheap. Just the hub alone is $400.00. The Kaiser swicth is cheap, $50.00.

acetomatoco

Do we have overheating problems with the OEM? The MF is a cold blooded beast...I usually have to run the winter bra with little door open here in the summer to get up to good temp...about 190 or so under most conditions..

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
removing the fan is to free up hp. can you imagine how much power it takes to turn that fan at 6000 rpm? i would make my own fan from something else. just some simple machine work.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
what is the diameter of the crankshaft pulley and what is the dia of the water pump pulley......... i was just guessing, you do the math. bjorn, where does the other 26.5 hp go??

FreightTrain

Banned
Electric fans wouldn't work.It has been tried on smaller applications over on Oilburners.net.Several people have tried to put an electric fan on a tiny 6.9/7.3L IDI in a ford and there are no fans out there with an electric motor that can flow the CFM required.

jwaller

jtonka on here has done extensive testing with his bobbed deuce and electric fans. it works in winter but not enough cfm's for summer.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind is used on the modern in-service 5-tons? It looks like the fan should turn by the pulley, but it did not turn till the engine was good and hot.

jeli

Horton is a major fan clutch player. They make both air and electric actuated. They list one of their clutches for the 900 series trucks with a C series engine. A multifuel would take a bit of searching to find something close enough to work.

Please let us know if anyone locates a hub (viscous, air, or electric) that will fit the multi water pump pulley bolt pattern. My electric fan does just fine except when pulling a full load in the mountains in the lower gears. It does need more CFM, but unless loaded works just fine.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i have a hyd driven fan fron a very late model jeep grand cherokee. from the looks of it, it would move an awsome amount of air. of course it would help if you already had ps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks