• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FAV Photos

Crapgame

This one is either USAF CC Combat Controllers, (now TACP) attached to 9th HTMD, or one of the Fast Attack Bns' S-3 (Air) going by the UHF "shark fin" antenna. The Marines are smart, they have their own Air Wing, their own intrinsic Close Air Support CAS. Unlike the Marines, the Army has to depend on the USAF for CAS so each Army Division, whether Light, Airborne, Mechanized, Armor or Motorized (with FAV in (HTMD case), has a detachment of USAF red beret Combat Controllers with specially equiped vehicles for carrying both the FM Radios to talk to the ground elements as well as the VHF/UHF for talking to Air. The shark fin antenna on HMMWV made them stand out.
I think for the era, the VRC-103 or PRC-113 with its vehicular power amplifier would be on the FAV for talking to Air then either two RT524 or PRC77/AM2060 which I doubt would fit, or one RT524 and a R-442 Aux. which would suit the two FM radio antennas seen.
Edit: The AN/PRC-113 was introduced by Magnovox in 1986.

Last edited:

Crapgame

On the radio shelf I see two box shaped objects. Bottom one is likely the RT524, the PRC77 on AM2060 the speaker is taller than the PRC77 radio, the RT524 is straight across. I see something at an angle up to the top box. To me that looks like a bungee cord is securing either the aluminum transport case for the AN/PVS5 NVG or its the battery case or Missile Guidance Set for the M220 TOW. The FAV would also have a VPC Vehicular Power Conditioner installed for the TOW Guidance Set batteries, somewhere. The below M220A1 diagram may be a newer system not in use yet during the 9th High Technology Motorized Division HTMD era, but I could be wrong, I was a Mortar Maggot 11Charlie not 11Hotel. This FAV appears to still have the thermal Nightsight still installed, the crewman shaving may indicate this is first thing in the morning during an administrative period, the crew hasn't replaced the AN/TAS-4 Nightsight unit with the Daysight Tracker
M220 TOW SYSTEM COMPONENTS.gif
ANPVS5 CASE.jpgM22O ACCESSORIES.gif

signalcorps

A TOW assembly would be a great addition to a FAV. I think it might be hard to find all the individual parts to go with it though. I'm guessing they dont just de-mil it and sell it. I would think they would destroy it. It would be cool though!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks