• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FDC leak

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked two different fuel density compensators on the bench this morning. One leaks and one does not.
The leak occurs around the piston rod, which has no gasket but is only a metal to metal fit.
Apparently the leak is caused by wear, although the there is very little movement while in operation. The piston moves from one extreme at start and moves to a new position depending on the fuel viscosity. There is also some movement as the viscosity changes with increase of fuel temperature.

I used compressed air at about 20 psi and with the FDC turned upside down there were bubbles in the oil around the piston rod indicating a leak..

My FDC started leaking after about 1,400 engine hours and the rate was about 1 quart/25 hrs.

In my case, microscopic rust particles could have been a contributing factor and I'm now looking for some kind of magnetic device to add to the filtering system....suggestions would be appreciated.

If any of you have experienced a leaking FDC, how many engine hours did you show?

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw someone had taken a old speaker magnet and placed it on the bottom of there oil pan. Could something like this be applied to the fuel canisters?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks