• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Federal, Reo, Sterling, Biederman, Corbitt Wreckers

tamangel

a friend of mine is doing some research and has asked me for help:

here's his request:

"...I am trying to find photos of the big WW2 7-1/2 ton 6x6's built by Federal, Reo, Sterling, Biederman, and even a few by Corbitt. Most of these were C-2 wreckers and F-1 tractors, but some were outfitted as Cardox crash trucks also. I am particularly interested in Reo wreckers, both the 7-1/2 and 10 ton. I've attached a few photos so you can see the what the models I am after look like...."

Pic's below, any assistance appreciated with links to sites and old threads..

Mike

Attachments

54reo

Sorry, no info or pics here, but I did see one of the tractor versions for sale in the most recent issue of MVM in the classifieds. I think it was $750 or so.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Those appear to be C2 aircraft wreckers - there is a brief chapter about these in my "Heavy Wrecker" book that came out a year or so ago. I'll have them for sale at the MVPA convention (or you can email me and we can work this out).

Fred Crismon did a book a few years ago titled "US Military Wheeled Vehicles" which includes photos of several variants of the C2 as well. That book is available from Portrayal Press, and I believe also major chains like Barnes and Noble and Borders.

HTH,
David Doyle

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think the truck in picture #8 was recently purchased by a G503.com member. There is a thread running on it right now in the large truck forum.

bigelk50

I have no idea what kind of truck this is. Perhaps someone can tell me. I was doing a search for Diamond T trucks and this came up.

Attachments

bigelk50

I have to ask, what are these trucks worth? I know they are kinda rare, but I have fallen in love with them. My neighbor has one, but in a farm truck version, fully restored. It was his grandpa's truck. I was drooling over it yesterday.:drool::drool:

OLDCHEV4X4

If you go to my albums, under David Smoker(my Pop-Pop), i have some pics of these trucks. I also would like more info in the tractor version in my grandfather's pictures.

Bklyn Phil

RsqVet

Haines in NJ may still have that unit in back, I recall it or one very similar in the mid 90's.

They also had a very nice older / non-military autocar rig

Bklyn Phil

It's not in the back. It's right out next to the road. It's is sad shape right now but it looks as tho they're trying to get it running. Brand new batteries next to the battery box and connected, a can of starter spray on the front bumper. Here are some pix.

Attachments

Reactions: NDT

RsqVet

Phil ---

Great pics; exactly as I remember it, just located up front. Do they still have a big 70's or earlier Autocar wrecker as well?

BTW they were a great company to deal with. Anytime our vol FD needed a hook they either refused to bill or made it very, very nice when it came to the bill. Anyone who has ever had to pay a heavy wrecker service knows just how much it runs.

Thanks again for the pics.

Bklyn Phil

Just a little way further south on NJ Rte 130 is an Army-Navy store with an Abrams tank, a WW1 floating mine, a 3" USN hi angle gun and a torpedo.

68427vette

I bought and have the orange C2 federal here in ohio now,, YES its COOL,, and HUGE. wood oak cab, wrapped in tin tacked on, way cool i have lots of pics, no way to post yet,,, jc,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks