• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

few m1008 or 1028 ? simple help please noob to cucv

sweetk30

few m1008 or 1028 ? ( new question )

i have a farmer friend who needs a good solid truck. i have him looking hard at a few cucv trucks.

he will use it for around town / small trips 50-60mph under 30 miles each way . might even swap on some 33" tires to help drop the rpm's a tad bit more if it needs tires.

he dont need anything fancy or full loaded turbo/overdrive/power everything so i think and he does also this will be his best bet.

our questions are :

is the 24volt the whole truck or what ?
hard to get parts for bulbs/and stuff ?
any thing else we need to know on basics ?

otherwise the rest is normal to me as i have a few civi k30 trucks.

thanks guys as always great site. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Chief_919

Only the starter, and kind of the glow plugs, are 24v. Everything else is 12v.

Bulbs are the same as every Chevy truck of the year.

sweetk30

oh perfect. thats a huge load off my mind.

we can deal with that stuff then if need be.

i can turn a wrench good. but electrical is my huge down fall. aua

but getting better with age. :)

AndrewH

The truck is basically the same as the civilian models. the starting and charging systems are different. the starter is 24v. the truck has basically a 12 volt and a 24 volt charging system. it has 2 12 volt alternators, short story. the bulbs are 12v. sometimes the glowplugs use 24v thru a resistor bank. there is a bunch of info around here about all of these differences and youd have to look at your truck and see that it hasnt been field modified anyways.

idM1028

Check the CUCV wiki. Just about everything you'll need to know is in there. Most of the parts can be found easily, some of the harder to find parts (alternators, starters, etc.) can be found if you now where to look or search enough, some can be replaced with other, not-quite-correct-but-will-work-fine parts. Find somebody's who good with electrical if you aren't. The trucks have the electrical system of a Jaguar from H***. Just my 2cents. If you run into problems, troubleshoot them with the TM. Worst comes to worse, there's plenty of good folks on here who'll be willing to help you out.

Last edited:

islandguydon

I would go with a M 1028, its made to carry a heavy load, 5/4 is a 1 &1/4 ton truck. Easy to work on and easy to drive.2cents

idM1028

:ditto:
Weight on my M1028A1 is 5,800 lbs. GVWR is 9,400 lbs. Thats closer to 2 tons. I've often thought that a M1008 or M1028 would make a perfect "farm truck." Farmer friends around here can afford newer 1-ton crew cab Cummins Dodges though. To each his own. . .

86m1028

I think they are perfect for what your wanting to use it for.

Like other people on here have said the electrical is "different".

With that being said check out the TM's & there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on here willing to help (if you use the tm's & search).

sweetk30

thanks every body great info/help . [thumbzup]

new question. who is a good dealer in the norrth east . ? i am in upstate ny around finger lakes by watkins glen race track.

havent had much luck around craigs list/ebay/here/few other sites. lookin for clean good runner. no super show truck just get in and drive.

Last edited:

islandguydon

thanks every body great info/help . [thumbzup]

new question. who is a good dealer in the norrth east . ? i am in upstate ny around finger lakes by watkins glen race track.

havent had much luck around craigs list/ebay/here/few other sites. lookin for clean good runner. no super show truck just get in and drive.
My opinion, you said the locals can afford brand new trucks, why not buy 4 or 5 M1028's for the same price..? Makes economical sense to me. As far as the North East goes; I would find a good truck and do a recovery, right now there are 3 trucks in GA all under $5,000.00 under 40,000 miles which are just broke in and ready to roll. Every recovery road trip I have done is a memory to last a life time. Just my 2 cents.....

sweetk30

try gov liq = to much time and energy he dont have. long story . . .

and road trip that far = time he dont have now and truck/trailer to pull them with.

thanks tho guys.