• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filter bag size for 5 gallons

rjinga

I'd like to run a 25-50 % mix of alternative fuel in my son's '85 M1009. After much thread reading, it looks like WMO through a set of filter bags might be a cheaper, easier set-up than either WVO or biodiesel. I think I'm going to rig up a 3 bag system similar to what I've seen described on here.

My question is - does anyone know if there is a bag size that would hold up to 5 gallons at a time?

I'm thinking 2 or 3 labelled 5-gallon buckets for the "bad" WMO; 2 or 3 labelled 5-gallon buckets for the filtered "good" WMO (never mix them, of course); "good" bucket underneath; pour up to 5 gallons in the filter bags; come back in ___ hours and pour the "fuel" into the CUCV; repeat.

rjinga

Ok, if I did my math right (ok, if I used the volume calculators I found online right), a 7" diameter X 32" height bag should hold up to 5 gallons. That size in the heavy duty polyester felt with the carbon steel retaining ring is $8.46 on the McMaster-Carr website. Can anyone beat that?!

rjinga

That size in the heavy duty polyester felt with the carbon steel retaining ring is $8.46 on the McMaster-Carr website. Can anyone beat that?!
Alright, Dudadiesel has a polyester bag with a hanging strap in the same size for $5.95 (100 microns) to $6.70 (1 micron). Can anyone beat that!!

swampzr2

We buy bag filters from several companies at work. One being finite filitration in Crown point Indiana, the other company that was pretty cheap was Midwest filtration Midwest Filtration Company

Give them both a call because I believe we were paying $3-4 for large canister bag filters that will hold well over 5 gallons. We use them to filter coolant for CNC machines.

Alright, Dudadiesel has a polyester bag with a hanging strap in the same size for $5.95 (100 microns) to $6.70 (1 micron). Can anyone beat that!!

rjinga

I just had a another thought - Do you really want to fill the filtration bag to nearly full capacity? Also, what happens if you do? Would more of the WMO just pass through the surface of the bag to the outside and then run down to the bottom and drip off? Would a fuller bag filter more liquid in the same amount of time? Should you attach a clip to the bottom and hang the bag at an angle so that it filters more through the length of the bag instead of just the bottom? Catch the drippings in a trough-like container? (Ok, I had several thoughts)

Jimma

I use bags from dudadiesel in alabama. I put as many as three bags inside of each other 25 micron then a 15 then a 5 or 1. Go to thier website. They are very reasonable and cool. They have a large selction of sizes. You can also get a pan shaped filter to put over a bucket or barrel. They interlock and you can do like a 600 micron, 250 and a 100 all together and pour your oil through them and remove all the larger particles. This will save your bags and it filters out the big stuff really, really fast. I sometimes do this when I get home with the oil as a pre filter and then store it till I am ready to filter to a finer micron size.

paulfarber

[SIZE=+1]I got three of the smaller bags (7x16) in 1, 5 and 50 micron delivered for $21

Bag Filters / Sock Filters / Water Sock Filters / WVO Filters / Oil Filters / SVO Filters - 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 200 Micron - Utah Biodiesel Supply

They list the larger sizes, also. If you get more than one, call or e-mail as the shopping cart does not combine shipping.. it wacks you $6 per bag and they will combine it for you.

7" x 32" Bag Filters[/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] (1) 7" x 32" Poly Felt Bag Filter [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Select Micron Rating
Price: $5.75 Shipping: $6.00
[/SIZE][/FONT]