• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filter housing question

pacebm

Hey guys, looking into filtering some WMO. I read a lot on here and other sites but I have not found any information on homemade filter housings. I have a friend who buys lots of overstock and return items from various stores; Sears, Grainger, Fastenal, etc. He bought an entire pallet of GE 1 micron filters. They are labeled "ZPlex R.OZs 1 micron", they are a tube about 3 feet long and the center opening is about 1 inch with an external diameter of about 3 inches. I can buy them all very cheap but not sure how to build a filter housing to use them. Any suggestions? He also got a bunch of Waukesha lube oil filter cartridges that I are 20 micron and I would need the same type setup to use these. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alredneck

Banned
Hmm sounds interesting. I use sediment filter housing and filters to 5microns. Available at Lowes, and such! 1mic would be really good!

pacebm

May be overkill but they are less than 25 cents each at his price. I have a general idea on how to set up the filter housing but I didn't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done this.

stumps

Not all filters are meant for all applications. If you took your WMO and ran it through that filter, very quickly you would find the filter was clogged tight. If you are bound and determined to use a 1 micron yarn filter, make sure that you stage a 40 micron, a 20 micron and a 5 micron first.

Industrially, yarn filters like that are used in plating tanks to keep the water thin electrolyte clean and clear.

-Chuck

pacebm

I had planned on staging it down to the 1 micron but I am not determined to filter to 1 micron. These are just super cheap and I was trying to think of a way to use them. To you guys with experience; if this is stupid please tell me so I don't waste my time. He gets lots of filters with different micron ratings but he just happened to get these very cheap and I am almost hobo cheap so I was trying to think of a way to use them.:neutral: