• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Final A1 overhaul cost

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Food for thought.

Over 49 calendar days, the A1 overall work done was as follows ...
- new oil pump #496-4800 & pan gasket
- Oil cooler decking +gaskets
- Bypass valve springs/orings(2)
- New trans cooler lines/orbs (2)
- New Trans cooler bracket
- ECM upgrade 330hp
- New fuel lines (6)/orings
- Amsoil Bypass filter 2um
- New compressor
- New PS pump & tube
- New exhaust (vertical) + wraps & shields
- Oil psi test port & gauge
- New water temp sender
- New oil line (compressor)
- New ExBrake air line
- New coolant lines (2) (compr)
- New driveshaft U-joints (4) & balancing
- New serpentine belt (807 0 8 )
- New atmosphere sensor -6722
- New Amsoil Synthetic 15w-40, 34quarts
- New Napa ATF Synthetic Dex6 10 gallons + flush
- New Napa Coolant 50/50 11 gallons
- New fuel/water separator filter + bypass valve cleaning
- New oil pressure test gauge
- New oil pressure sender
- New cab grounds

Exhaust cost: $1,275
Engine & Drivetrain cost: $8,428

Total: $9,703 😳

Steel for all the brackets and exhaust mast was surplus from auction.

Total hours were not recorded but about 2-3 hrs per day on average for the 49 days so 122.5 hours estimated. Welding and cutting gases not included. My mental health costs not included. 🫠

(I wonder what Midwest would charge for all that? 🤣)

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More like $200+ / Hr at most heavy truck shops these days. Of course it depends on where.... at the small end of bear piss creek Arkansas you might could found Cousin Skillet that saw one of them trucks once.... well he fell out the back of it and got med boarded for being permanently cross-eyed but he's magic with a hammer and chisel.

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$9703+122.5*$120/hr=$24,403
($/hr estimated). Also you must have spent money on tools and the time to research all this.
This hobby is very expensive.

Also...final? Does that every happen with these?
Yes Labor would be a killer!

Luckily I have lots of tools from being a hoarder, and having to work on the track loader. Thou, I had to buy the otc puller, but that was a year ago in anticipation. My last truck build was an '87 bronco that I redid in '97. Sold it for a DP on my first house. Still have some custom "ford only" handmade wrenches in the box. IDK why I have a 1-1/2" box wrench but it was nice for those trans cooler fittings.

My Research time is reading threads here. This site is like a textbook except with odd fellows mixed in between pages lol.

This is the "final" for this month lol. Im sure I'll have a big cost list when I do the differential swap outs come winter. And now the pto project begins.

It's very satisfying to wrench on these things. My diesel mech is mad that I wouldn't let him do any of the work. 🤷🏻‍♂️

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Research time is reading threads here. This site is like a textbook except with odd fellows mixed in between pages lol.
Hey I resemble that remark. :geek:

It's very satisfying to wrench on these things. My diesel mech is mad that I wouldn't let him do any of the work. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't have a diesel tech (well besides Josh the Adept Ape but he's way over there somewhere out of reach) but if I did I wouldn't let him wrench on it either. Comes down to needing that familiarity down the road for when the day inevitably comes in a snowstorm at the top of a mountain out of the reach of man or machine and it's just me and the iron giant that have to argue about which one of us is the bigger tool.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bargain still. Even IF you bought from a broker once gone through your LMTV will cost less and be the most capable vehicle you can repair yourself (9 times out of 10) on or off the road, maybe after waiting a day or two for a part—