• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got the truck...with a lot of headaches...

MilitaryRestoration

So we finally got the truck from French Camp:
Sun 1000 - We left Vancouver, Wa the start of our journey
2000 - We arrived at our hotel.
Mon 0800 - Arrived at the Sharpe Depot
*After arriving we checked in and were shown where the truck was at. We started from the rear moving our way forward. First filling the differentials, transfer case, transmission. Then moved onto checking brake fluid and finding any and every grease zerk. Replaced the broken passenger side tail light. Then as we were moving to the motor compartment, we started to check for leaks etc. Noticed the the engine stop cable was snapped but other than that everything pretty much seemed to check out ok...UNTIL...my father was checking the belts and at that point I noticed that the fan blades were very close to the radiator core and didn't look like the fan was bent, so I jumped down to find that GL had drained the radiator in a very specific lazy and very pointless with no respect way!!! Leave it to GL employees. Then with no further motivation, we pushed on as my father finished prepping the truck and I started calling around to find a radiator.
1500 - We left Sharpe depot without truck like planned and a broken radiator in back of truck in search of a radiator shop. But because of the way that the radiator had been hit, two radiator shops with great experience both stated it would be days to fix, as it was an impossible 'quick fix'.
Tue 0800 - The search was still on. Arnold of Ca. said that he had to come my way anyway and that he more than likely had one for me but ended up being 5 ton radiators. We found one at the ever more famous 'Saturn Surplus' but all we received was the typical horrible customer service and ever so high prices and I mean high. They wanted 1100 for a radiator at first then down to 950 which was still too much in my opinion. Our next available option was to drive 6hrs one way to boyce for 350.00 or even further to Antelope Valley for 850.00. None of which sounded good to me. So after all this I decided that no matter what we had to get the truck off the depot otherwise we lose it. So we went at about 1000 to the depot in plan of finishing the truck as far as prepping goes and then to tow it off the depot using the tow bar to some unknown location. :) Truck stop if we had to. 1100 we got the truck off the depot and ran into Arnold who was ever so nice enough to let us tow it to one of his lots so that we could store until we found a radiator. Then the call came...Jon from Nevada called and said he would take one out of his truck to give to me for 250 and was only 3.5 hours away. So it was a done deal, we left the truck at Arnolds outside the gate with the plan to drive to Nevada get the radiator drive back, install radiator, then leave for Vancouver, Wa so that I could get back in time for my 1930 Fire Department Graduation.
1300 - We realized we were going to be a while. As a storm rolled through California the mountains received an instant 2 foot of snow making our one way trip into about 7 or so. But did finally get the ever so earned radiator then turned around and headed back for California. With no traffic or anyone at all on pass and with my driving experience in the snow I managed to get us back to California in a unbelievable 3hours in worse weather conditions than before! lol 'mans gotta do, what mans gotta do' ;-)
1030 - we reached our destination and started installing the new radiator. Did one last check of everything and hit the start switch....instant start, good oil pressure, no leaks of any kind, good air pressure, good volts, everything was checking out thank god. Then for the lights which scared me to be honest...At first when tried turning them on...nothing...but then with another try they came on and the only thing that did not work was the turn signals, they just came on solid so I just decided to manually rock the lever to make it look like they are blinking instead of trying to fix on spot and taking the risk of losing other lights.
Wed - 0000 - We were all ready for the trip back but very tired!!! Took off out of the lot and instantly realized something was wrong. When into 4th and 5th gear the clutch really slipped. We proceeded onto the first truck stop but by then it had gotten a little bit better, figuring that oil must have gotten onto/into clutch assembly. Top her fuel off and started the journey again. Not much later I still new we had problems, now with noises coming from down below the cab. So we took off at another truck stop and I crawled under as my father drove forward a bit and back a bit, and I realized that the front differential was locked in even though the switch was off. So to quick fix it we just disconnected the front driveline retightened the jack shaft and regreased it and took off again. Then when pulling the siskyou's it was a pain had to only drive upgrades in third but it made it. Also when hit 30mph that clanking noise would begin in the clutch area and still cant figure out what it is.
Wed - 1900 (half hour till my graduation and still 3hours away) Realized I was definitely going to miss it and that I just had to live with the fact that the most important part was that we got the truck home safe and in one piece, powering it self. We had been up for 36hours and of those 36hours we had been driving for an unremarkable 32hours. Learned much on this trip and I thank everyone for their help.

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Sometime you take the Trip & sometimes, the Trip takes you".

You did it right! You had a swell Outfit. You'll have a swell truck too, when you have a chance to tinker with it some.

Lee in Alaska

MilitaryRestoration

DanMartin-whenever you'd like I'll actually be in town through tue then gone for a few days and then back for four days again so let me know. i've actually got the truck up for sale as well so let anyone know that is interested in one. Thanks

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With regard to the radiator, it might not have been the GL guys. The DRMO guys have been doing this stuff for years. I once saw an M52A2 at Lakehurst, NJ that had been shoved sideways about 20 feet by a forklift. I know it was shoved by the crushed fuel tank and the skid marks the tires made. As Mark said (EMMADO22), did you inspect it first? That might tell you who damaged the truck. Once it is GL's property, the DRMO guys don't mess with stuff (at least that has been my experience).

pa.rich

That sounded like a nitemare. At least you and Dad were a good team and got it home. The damage stuff you mentioned is a reason I am afraid of dealing with them. They possibly damaged it after you looked at it? Hope it all works out for you.

MilitaryRestoration

I didn't get a chance myself to inspect it due to all the local fires that we were having at the time and everything else going on and as far as preinspection I really didn't think I was going to win it so didn't think much of it. As to whether or not it was done before or after bidding I'm not sure. I had others inspect and they easily could have looked over it just as I did when we were there. Took a while for me to even notice it so I'm not sure. it was quite the adventure though to say the least ;-)

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Finally got the truck...with a lot of headaches.

That missed radiator damage was my bad. I was too busy looking for bent front driveshafts and punctured fuel tanks that the careless fork lifts drivers usually do. I feel horrible. I was rushed because the GL guy was watching me like a hawk and couldnt leave me alone with the truck plus he still had to take me over to my truck then get back to the other cutomers that were waiting for loadout. I am truly sorry.

MilitaryRestoration

Djfreema- all ok...we barely caught it ourselves...really...dont worry about it. Besides i really should've found the time to make it down there myself but just couldn't fit into schedule. No hard feelings, you helped a ton as it was...Thank You again.

DanMartin- no we have that as well...The truck you see above is for sale too

MilitaryRestoration

all it takes is money :) lol and a head that is capable of accepting a lot of head aches from time to time lol but all the fun, glory, and respect you get from it in the end, pays it all off...!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From some of the pick-up stories I see on here I don't see how some of you do it. I've always said that a small problem at home can turn into a BIG problem if you're out of town. The last truck I bought was 50 miles from home but I hauled it in. One reason is I have the equipment to haul it and another is that alot can still happen in 50 miles on a truck you know nothing about. It does make for some good stories though ( after the nightmare is over of course).

Flea

My truck, too, had the 4th and 5th gear slippage for about 3-400 miles after I bought it, and it's gone away as well. I wonder if oil really does slip past the seals and end up on the clutch. Before I couldn't give it more than half throttle past 3rd gear, now full throttle all the way and no problems.

Who knows? :roll: They say the best vehicles have personalities.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I'd not neccessarily blame the GL guys - I can take you to any of dozens of M37s in my area with bent driveshafts - and this was well before GL even existed. DRMO and a big fork lift - pick a deuce up by the bumper and push it around, and HOPE the forks don't get into the radiator - or pickup a Dodge from the side to load and unload trucks - the forks just touch the driveshafts "a little"

Glad you made it home safe.

DD

Coveralls

I agree with the others that say don't be too hard on the GL guys. They have been very help full to me and look the other way while I (fix) my truck. Any truck that is not behind a locked gate is a free for all. I have had winch drive shaft, brake light switch, light switch, fire ext.,and lately all the tire tools come up missing. My last one in Smyrna was like your adventure. When you view the bid photos, look for scratches like the ones on your bumper, this tells me the truck didn't run so they used the fork lift many many times. When running those 20 ton fork lifts the mast is so big you cannot see both forks at the same time. So you concentrate your vision on the one you can see. Looks like they only saw the right one in your case. Happiness is acquired through accomplishments and you should be one happy SOB!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks