• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally have a full set of BIG tires!

Hammer

Well, got the 16R20's mounted up on the xm818.
Brand new HEMTT rims (Thanks M1075!), and new valve stems (thanks Warthog!).

Lots of work and sweat, and I have a very TALL 818!
Only took it for a short test spin. Got a wild harmonic going with the tires. But I figure that might be from them sitting for so long. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I can put some more miles on it to see if those smooth out.
All tires are at least 95% tread. So they are in great shape.

Attachments

Hammer

I had 4 of the tires already, and picked up the last two from 100dollarman while I was picking up this 818 out of Barstow.
I like the aggressive look and use of the XL, but these XZL's should fit my use for the truck a lot better.

I agree on the front wheel well sizing issue. The stock 11r20s looked PUNY on the front, and ok on the back. These bigger tires really fill it out though.

I am in the habit of jumping out of my trucks. Most have a lower running board, kind of like the deuce. So the first couple times jumping off this sucker now kind of hurts! Wasn't ready for it the first time (brain is programmed for a shorter fall, doh!)

Oh, and it is so nice to have power steering to turn these big suckers. Barely any difference in the feel of the steering so far, but I haven't driven it enough to really tell, yet.

Hammer

I have the stock small step for the front bumper, but I am tempted to make a fold down step for it now.
Rear tires fit just fine with the stock setup. CLOSE to each other, but they fit fine.

groundog

Hamer---what did you use to move and help mount those big tires--I picked up some 1400x20 and they are heavy to move around let alone mount on a vehicle--Groundog

Hammer

I never lift these tires. The absolute MOST I will do is use a long tire spoon to help nudge the tire around while mounting it.
I put the tire up to the hub, then use the jack to lift/lower the axle so the rim lines up with the hub. Use a spoon, pry bar, etc, to push the tire onto the hub.
Figuring each rim/tire setup is over 500 pounds, you need to think about how you are going to move these buggers. And also think about where you leave them standing around, when they fall over, they can really knock stuff around!
Of course I had to set each tire down to get the rims mounted, then stand them back up. That is just a learning curve on how to move the tire and your body.

Again, raise/lower the axle/hub, not the tire. And a nice tire spoon helps move the tire around that last little bit.

groundog

I used a tail gate step and put it under the drivers step---old age is catching up----I have a tractor with a front loader and plan on welding some square tubing on the front and make it like a receiver hitch with 3 foot long forks---pull a pin and remove forks---will make it to fit on lower one third of tire so I can lift tires and position them for mounting on hub ---hope it works---if not I will invite you over for lunch---ha---groundog

Hammer

Why lift the tire though? That setup does sound good for moving the tires around.
Just roll the tire up to the hub, wiggle it up near the hub, then use the jack to raise or lower the hub so the tire will 'slide right on'. To slide it on, this is where you put the tire spoon, pry bar, etc (make it 3' or 4' long). Just stick the bar under the tire and use leverage to push the tire towards the hub. The bar also makes it easy to spin the tire a little to align the studs.

Another trick is to use something smooth under the tire (huge cookie sheet), and put something slick on it (watered down dish soap, etc.) Tires will slide around very easy on that stuff!

Moving it with the tractor would be nice, but I could also see it as creating more work in the long run. The only thing that requires strength is standing those buggers up when they are laying flat on the ground. Everything else can be done pretty easy if you think it through.

Hammer

Not 100% sure yet which ones will work with the bigger tires yet, but I want one cargo and one lowboy.
Flatbeds and lowboys don't come up that often out here, so I will probably end up with a cargo style for the first military trailer.

Hammer

That is my goal. Lots of little things to work out, especially seeing as I just picked this sucker up a couple weeks ago!
It DOES have a 10 ton mirror on the driver's side! (or bridge truck mirror, whatever)