• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally rolling with my 1984 M1009

axshon

So after 2 years of the old girl sitting behind the house, starting it with a jump and letting it warm up once a month, I finally got the title and historic tags for her and picked up some batteries.

Funny thing is that after 2 years it never failed to start with a jump UNTIL I was ready actually drive it. This time I could only get about 3 turns on the crank before it wouldn't turn anymore. Well, a couple of batteries ought to fix that... Sure enough a couple of Bosch 850s (they didn't have 950s at the shop) and it fired right up.

So after taking her around the block a few times with my kids in the passenger seat (tickled pink, btw) I have my working list. I might start a rebuild thread for this truck but we'll see.

1. Transmission takes a while to 'catch' after starting from a full stop until it warms up. After warmup it catches right away and shifts smoothly. Inspection of the storage location shows a very small spot of trans fluid that I hadn't noticed before.
- Solution: replace all vacuum lines, top off the trans, wipe down the undercarriage and check for leaks.
2. Volt meter and 'wait' light on the dash no longer work. After warmup the front battery reads 12.54 V and the rear battery reads 14.5 V while idling.
- Solution: read the TM troubleshooting guides and check for burnt fuses or fusible links. The battery terminal connectors are also pretty beat up (though now they are clean!) so I'm looking for a good source for those.
3. "Low Coolant" light is on all the time even though coolant is full.
- Solution: read the TM and inspect everything again.
4. Squeals like a stuck pig when cold.
- Solution: All new belts ordered and should be in today.

Customizations on the docket in order but no particular dates:
1. Doghead relay mod: I have the tools and parts for this, just need to get it done, probably this weekend if the weather holds. I have a 1/2" wrench in the glove box just in case.
2. Spin-on fuel filter: I have a Wix filter and adapter, just need to get the bracket in place and a good tarp under it for the mess.
3. Rear suburban seat: I have the seat and will be talking to a pipe fitter friend who has a TIG welder and shop. We'll weld flat stock top and bottom and create bar-mounts for it. This was a requirement since the 'burb seats have shoulder belts and head rests. My wife works in pediatric medicine and looked at those low seat backs and said no way are the kids riding in the back.
4. Front passenger fender and door banged up: replace and repaint. I think I'll just go with 383 green for the entire thing and maybe camo it back up later.
5. Fix the rocker panel rust and the inner fender rust.
6. Reinforced roof rack with custom foot holds set into body work front and rear.
7. Steel front bumper with winch
8. Steel rear bumper with swing out tire carrier
9. Hide away rear floor drawer for range visits

I'll be rereading all the TMs in the order stated in the WiKi so I don't question dumb stuff here but if anyone wants to contribute their .02 I'm always listening.

My goal for this truck is to make it my DD. I want something that is as reliable and maintainable as possible. I'll make it exactly what floats my boat over time. Vehicles have too many #$*^ gadgets these days. I want a simple reliable 4x4 with no drama. I looked at possibly selling this for a newer diesel 4x4 4dr but every time I looked at my criteria it kept coming back to this old girl: solid frame, solid axle, auto trans, diesel, seating for 4, no computer, easily replaceable parts, light off-road ability, small trailer towing ability, documentation to allow me to support it by myself or with a little help. Sounds like an M1009 to me.

P.S. If anyone in the Baltimore MD area wants a free back seat from an 84 '09, PM me and you can have it. I'll post it in the pay it forward section after a while.

joshuak

Sounds like your a man with a plan! Good luck resurrecting your '09 and of course:

nopics, sorry had to.

Greetings from across the bay by the way!