• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally !

paramed1967

Finally bought mu CUCV M1109. The vehicle has a little surface rust on the interiior and 28K miles otherwise it is in good shape. I bought it from Russell's Military Vehicles in Cairo Ga. I have it painted sand tan in color and it is about to be making the drive to my new home in Austin, Tx
The next project post move is to take everything out and rhino line it inside and out and replace the bulbs with LED lights. I am contemplating a winch on the front. I have been trying to chase threads in putting one on but has anyone had had much experience with them ?

Cleptomaniac

I put a winch on my 1009. Burried it behind the bumper. Still want to make a rock guard for it. Will try to post some pics for you later.

donalloy1

Welcome paramed1967! The M1009 is way to go. In my humble opinion. Enjoy working on and operating mine all the time. Good luck rust. Need pics of your ride:beer:

CycleJay

Welcome to SS paramed1967,

From a fellow M1009 owner and Ga neighbor here in Marietta, Ga..

If you ever need any assistance with your M1009, or just want to hang out and talk MV,
please let me know, I will be glad to do what I can.

Good day,

M1008driver

The very first thing you need to do is the doghead mod. It will save you many dollars and hours of asking how to fix a starter meltdown. Don't wait. Do a search and you will see why. Congrats on your CUCV!

Skinny

Any photos of the winch mount itself? This is exactly what I'm looking for and need ideas for a mount. The 4wheel magazine build has the same thing but still lacks a good photo of just the plate.

Cleptomaniac

I used a 8"x3/8" c channel cut to fit in side the frame. It is bolted to the frame in 6 places. 4 bolts hold the winch on so I figured a little overkill....
I had to take the bumper and the shackle brackets off to get it in there!! Total pita but worth it!! No pics of it apart. Sorry

Skinny

I'm assuming the winch plate bolts from the top down onto the upper portion of the c channel frame? Also, your front part of the C channel is Tucked right behind the bumper for your fairlead mount?

Cleptomaniac

The fairlead is just bolted to the bumper and the winch is actually mounted up side down. I looked on their web sight and every thing i found said it was ok as long as it was spooling the correct direction. I also cut out a hole for the controls to plug in. The wiring is also behind the bumper. Oh yea it is just a Warn M8000. Traded a gun for it...

Skinny

Not to be a naysayer because I dig your setup but I'm questioning the structural integrity of the stock bumper being used for a hawse/fairlead support.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks