• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finding a mechanic

thoner7

As much as I’d like to fix my own vehicle and learn more about it, I’m finding I really just don’t have the time.id be able to drive it more if I could get it fixed for me. I’m not expecting to find any Humvee mechanics around my area, but has anyone had luck with diesel shops that have experience with the 6.2/6.5?? I have the heated fan drive on mine, so that will make it a little more unusual too.

Or what about taking it to any ole auto shop for brakes or AC work?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a local shop that works on light commercial vehicles. Talked to the owner and he agreed to work on it with the understanding I was liable to order parts, and I owed for time spent since it would be very difficult for them to estimate.

I gave them a (on usb flash drive) a copy of the technical manuals and parts manuals. We worked together to get whatever was needed.

So far he’s done an alignment, fluid changes, and head gaskets. More the shop works on it the more comfortable they are.

Jinx

Buy me a Coke
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a couple phone calls to local mechanics are in order. These trucks are dead simple to work on. (At least compared to modern cars)

x2 on supplying TM's when dropping off the truck.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you have to call around!

After making the rounds, I found one shop local that was willing to do an alignment. But they found some bad bushings and bearings on the right front. I had to order the parts and bring it back. I was super grateful that someone was willing to do the alignment!

Later I took it back to them to help me with two stuck glow plugs. They would not touch that!

I called around and only one local diesel shop was willing to try to tackle it. Open ended labor @ $150/hour. They wanted to remove the heads and give them to a machine shop to remove. But they were not sure what else they would run into that was rusted taking off the heads. It is almost a certainty. I kind of got the idea that swapping out the engine would be cheaper. So for now, I am am running on 6 glow plugs.

thoner7

Well that’s encouraging I guess. Hopefully I can find a veteran of the motorpool working at some of these places!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks