• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Firefighter Dies from Deuce (w/ Tribute Pics)

M1075

A neighboring fire department lost one of their own last night. Details are unavailable, but it appears that the young man was working on a wildland fire when he stopped and got outside the deuce for some reason (possible vehicle or pump problems). The truck apparently rolled over him and he died several hours later at the hospital. He left behind a wife and four children. Please pray for his family and hug yours a little closer today.

We probably can never be 'safe enough', but PLEASE respect the size, weight and capabilities/limitations of our military vehicles. As more and more enthusiasts are drawn to our hobby, it may be easy to loose sight of inherent risks with this type of equipment. Take care of yourself and those around you when operating one. Safety is priority #1.

rmgill

Sounds like he was probably rushing. I've had that problem but managed to avoid killing myself or someone else. Sad thing for this chap's family.

Hookin1

Sorry to hear that.It is always a sad day when we loose somebody in our family,I pray for his because it will be many days before they feel normal again.

I agree, ALWAYS! be carefull when working driving or just getting in and out of your MV.......remember it may just be a M38 or a 5ton truck,but they really aren't designed for your protection,just transportation.The one thing about dueces and 5tons is that when you get out of the truck with gear on sometimes you can knock the emergency brake lever back down,and not know it.When in a hurry it can be overlooked.So lets be careful out there. 2cents

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving a deuce or any vehicle on old logging trails (assuming he's in the woods) can be trecherous with the side of the trail giving way, for example. Perhaps the man noticed the vehicle was starting to roll and tried to get out and out of the way and didn't have enough time.
No matter what, its a sad story, my condolences...

M1075

Fire Truck Tribute

We buried our friend and fellow fireman on the prairie that he loved. As a small tribute, we rolled the trucks out in his honor and had the lights on for the funeral procession (led by another 4 fire trucks). There were about 30 trucks lined up, but I couldn't get them all in the shot. A few pics below.

Attachments

carguy455

I am so sorry for the loss of your fellow firefighter, it really does bring home the danger of using any large equipment.

I have been guilty of driving on bad tires, driving with no brakes, and horsing around and posting pics of us "taking chances". I want to let everyone know I for one will be MUCH more careful and responsible with my gear from now on. Accidents happen even when folks are NOT engaging in risky behavior, so I will not be pushing my luck anymore.

That was a respectful send off you gave him, he would have been proud I am sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks