• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"First Aid Kit" for the first CUCV long distance travel

MFF

Hi,
soon I'll hit the road with my M1008 for a longer trip; the first time after it's reactivation.
I guess I'd make sense to put a kind of CUCV "first aid kid" together with
- self adhesive tape
- various transmission belts
what else?

Please let me know what went wrong on Your first long distance trip so I can get prepared.

Thanks a lot!

Chris

ralbelt

Replace hoses if not already done. Spare fuel filters, never know what you might pick up, starter and alternator if you can. fuses and your metric tools.

Have a safe trip.

Reactions: MFF

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fire extinguisher, relays, starter bolts, maybe change out or pack a set of GPs, and some Snickers bars.

Jones

Tire plug/patch kit, set or two of Tyvek coveralls, First Aid kit for any scraped knuckles you might acquire.

Depending on how far off-road you might venture; insect repellant, compass, fire starter kit, policeman's whistle (distinctive sound and can be heard much farther than someone yelling/screaming), MREs or something similar, space blanket.
Sounds like a trailer-load of stuff but it all can all be packed into a large ammo can.

Last edited:

motormayhem

Hi,
soon I'll hit the road with my M1008 for a longer trip; the first time after it's reactivation.
I guess I'd make sense to put a kind of CUCV "first aid kid" together with
- self adhesive tape
- various transmission belts
what else?

Please let me know what went wrong on Your first long distance trip so I can get prepared.

Thanks a lot!

Chris
Transmission belts?

91W350

I carry a set of tools an oil and a fuel filter. Everything else is good.... do not forget to carry a good spare tire! If your truck has been running trouble free, life should be good! I also carry a gallon of Rotella 15-40 and a bottle of Power Service fuel additive.

Napoleon_Tanerite

i think we're jumping ahead of ourselves here....

Question 1 should be "what issues have you had with it in the past, if any?" If it's had issues, pack appropriately to deal with the reappearance of that issue.

I'd bring at least a quart of oil, a quart of transmission fluid, a pint of power steering fluid and a bottle of antifreeze. Not sure about yours, but my M1009 seems to like to consume fluids, and longer road trips seem to exacerbate the situation.

Duct tape can temp fix ANYTHING, and if duct tape can't fix it, you've got bigger problems than a temp fix can solve.

ABN173

91W350

This whole series of Chevrolet trucks was pretty tough and millions remain on the roadway. I agree we cannot haul everything, but the filters and spare diesel oil seems prudent. I like to carry washer fluid too, these trucks have a tiny fluid tank. Fuel conditioner is this day of low sulphur fuel seems like a no-brainer. I may be dense, but I never give mine a second thought, I grab a couple of dogs and off we go... Normally you will have a pretty good idea what is about to fail if you have been running your truck for some time. A general fluid check and a quick go over for any leaks and I am outta here.... I should probably carry alternator belts as they are an odd length and width.