• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Deuce!!!

100dollarman

I have 5 M35s waiting for EUCs at Barstow, but I saw this one for sale on the road yesterday and couldnt pass it up! Its a 1970 (I think) M35a2c. Missing winch driveshaft, torn softtop, no hook on winch cable. Comes with tools/box, axe, shovel, bows, etc. Started right up- seems to run well. Just drove it a few feet, but the owner says it runs out good.
This one has a title and historic plates. I figured this would keep me busy until my EUCs and SF97s clear!
Its 168 miles from home and I plan on driving back. Wish me luck!!! I am going to get it Thursday.
First things I plan on doing are installing a muffler, and replacing the soft top. Can anyone tell me the best place to get the softtop, and a new cargo cover? Another question- Is that front bumper on upside down? I have seen pics both ways--???
Any tips or advice for a newbie is appreciated!!!

Possible plans for the trucks-
Bob/big tires
install water tanks
re-sell
buy more

Thanks!
Mark.

Attachments

Jakob

Nice looking truck... if it started up and runs fine, you shouldh't have any problems. The only thing that troubled me in my recent drive home w/ my first truck was the belts. The PO had put on the wrong belts and they snapped on my drive home... about 50 miles into a 385 mile drive. Good luck!

First and for most welcome to the site, and Green addiction [thumbzup] 6 trucks right off the bat. You better get a flu shot for it, or youll have a whole fleet of them in no time. Not that its not a problem or anything. :D Bumper is the right way. Its usually fliped around on the Non winch trucks.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bumper is mounted correctly- the ones that are flipped over the opposite way are non-winch trucks.

All the manuals (for the most part) are available here on SS, free of charge. They answer a great deal of the average questions. What answers can't be found in the manuals can be found with a search of the site. With so many members, most topics have been covered in great detail.

Congrats and welcome!

Jakob

Re: RE: First Deuce!!!

100dollarman said:
thanks, guys.

I'll just warn you ahead of time- I'll probably be asking questions that you have already answered about 10 times! I'll check into the manuals and sharpen my search skills!
I've been doing that too, asking questions that have been beat to death. I have lousy search skills and can't get the right results to come up. I'm working on that though :lol:

Everyone here has been really great. Even taking that extra minute to repeat answers they've probably given 20 times.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: First Deuce!!!

If you need a winch chain and hook, I have a spare here.

Nice truck! I'm in the same boat as you - waiting on SF97s, though, for 4 trucks. Not going to buy any more until they come in, and until I thin out the herd a bit. Enjoy this titled truck to hold you over until the Feds decide you can own a truck.... :roll:

100dollarman

Hey thanks!
I may take you up on the chain/hook. I'll get it home, then start figuring out what I need for it. I am excited about going to get the truck tomorrow- and a little nervous. Its gonna be a pretty long drive and a few 4000-5000' mountain passes to get over.

Maddawg- how long have you been waiting for the sf97s? Any idea how long I might expect mine to take as this is my first buy?

drthunder33

Welcome to the site. Great bunch here with experience to back up the books! Enjoy your new toys. Looks like you have the O.D. sickness BAD!

100dollarman

Re: RE: Re: RE: First Deuce!!!

drthunder33 said:
Welcome to the site. Great bunch here with experience to back up the books! Enjoy your new toys. Looks like you have the O.D. sickness BAD!
Thanks! I have only been on here for a few weeks and everybody has been great.

I think I have the sickness, and it may be incurable! I still love the deuce after driving it 200 miles at 50-55mph!!!

I made it home OK. 2450 on the tach is 54mph. Long drive today- but fun. My son and I drove over to it today and picked it up--drove it home-- no problems! This one with title and tags will keep me bust till I get the other 5!!!

Here is a pic- I'll get some "stuff" ordered for it tomorrow!

Thanks everybody for the welcomes and the tips! The number 1 best tip is to have ear protection!!! This thing is effn' LOUD!!!

Mark.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks