• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First MV. Question about towing with a 5 ton or larger.

skav

I'm looking at my first MV and have been looking at the 925A2, 932A2, 916 and 920.

I plan to tow our 17k toy hauler to the desert and back. I also want to use it for road trips.

What ever I end up with, I will end up mounting 16.00s for better freeway speeds.

Here are my questions.

How will the 925/932 tow the trailer? I tow it with an F350 now, using a 17k distribution hitch. Would the hitch be needed with either series? I gotta image that the trucks wouldn't even know the trailer was back there.

What speeds are realistic with 16.00s on the 925/932 and 916/920?

The 8.3 is rated at 240BHP, but I'd plan to mod the IP and would love 350-400hp.

The Cat trans in the 916/920 seem to be the only weak area with the truck. How does it compare to the 5 speed Allison in the 925/932?

In reading the TM for the 932A2, it has a 55k tow rating for the highway. This is way more than I will ever need, so why would you go with a 916/920 over the 925/932 besides the cool factor?

The other thing I'm not crazy about is the EUC requirement for the 916/920. I was told that this could take up to 60-90 days. That sucks and is a factor in what I get too.

Any input is greatly appreciated:)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you plan to carry passengers too?

5th wheel plates are very high on those.

Your trailer is 12Volt? You'd need to make a converter for the brakes and lights.

If your in a hurry, buy from a retailer.

If your euc comes back in 10 days, you may still have a bad truck. 100% crap shoot on all GL sales.

Can you afford to throw away your money or part it out or scrap it, if it's junk?

And, you'll need a CDL

3dAngus

Wow you are one to ask some excellent questions and do really good research.

I cant help with the five tons. I can only count to 3.

Why I did come on here to post is to inform you Not to worry about the EUC. As long as you are a US citizen in good standing and not a former convict, you will likely get a EUC in just a few weeks. The process ismuch more efficient today then it was a year ago. Good luck with it.

skav

Do you plan to carry passengers too?
I have a vision that includes pulling the box off a fire crew transport and mounting it behind the cab. I have 4 kids, so I gotta bring them too.

5th wheel plates are very high on those.
Our toy hauler is a 34' bumper pull, so I don't need the 5th wheel plate.

Your trailer is 12Volt? You'd need to make a converter for the brakes and lights.
I read about converting from 24 to 12vdc, and I'll need to do that for sure.

If your in a hurry, buy from a retailer.
I'm always in a hurry, but I've been looking for about 6 months and am trying to be patient.

If your euc comes back in 10 days, you may still have a bad truck. 100% crap shoot on all GL sales.
I'm really trying to find something that runs, so that's why I've been looking at the A2s. I figure they're newer and hopefully in better shape.

Can you afford to throw away your money or part it out or scrap it, if it's junk?
I hate throwing money away, so I'd like to find something good. If you know of any retailers, please post info.

And, you'll need a CDL
I heard you only needed a learners permit in Kalifornia:) Actually, I think I'm supposed to have one for my trailer.

Attachments

skav

Wow you are one to ask some excellent questions and do really good research.

I cant help with the five tons. I can only count to 3.

Why I did come on here to post is to inform you Not to worry about the EUC. As long as you are a US citizen in good standing and not a former convict, you will likely get a EUC in just a few weeks. The process ismuch more efficient today then it was a year ago. Good luck with it.
Thanks. I was stopped in the airport once, but it was a mistake, so I should be good:)

Maybe the lady was just trying to shock me when she said 60 days. I really love the 920, and if I had 50 acres to turn it around, that would be mine pick. I can only imagine what my neighbors are going to say when I pull up in an MV!

M813A1

Well consider a M915 it is the same truck as a M920 and it is 4x6 instead of 6x8 and it will pull you along at 70 mph with no problem, they have a Big Cam 400 Turbo Cummins with either the Allison or Cat trans !! As for the M915 it has both the Allison and Cat trans in it . The CAT 7155 trans is just a reliable as the Allison and will move along a little faster then the Allison , now the Cat is harder to find people to work on it . You will need a CDL for the air brakes and they will pull your # 17.000 lbs trailer without a problem !! The M915, 916,920 have both 12v and 24v electrical hook-ups . Now if you want to use the M923/925 it has the Allison trans in it !! You will need a 12v to 24v convertor or change the light bulbs to 24v on your toy hauler. With the 16.00 tires you will loose pulling power but gain a little road speed the truck and will pull your trailer with out a problem . Either way any of those trucks will work for what you want to do