• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

first time owner of M1008

maxpanic

Hi All,
I just bought a m1008 and when I had it delivered it didn't run. So I bought some new batteries, checked all the fluids and was happy to find that it started right up. So far after airing up the tires and taking her for a spin I was surprised at a few things. Having never driven one of these before I am not sure if these things are at all normal.

When driving around a bit I found that the tranny seems to shift pretty high and at high rpm, perhaps a tranny servicing is in order?

Also noticed that it stalls and dies after its revving pretty high just before shifting and I take my foot off the accelerator. I pull to the side of the road and she starts right up again. could this be more than a fuel filter?

obviously un-healthy is the fact that the blinkers don't work even after I turn on the service lights. The headlights work but the blinkers don't work at all. Perhaps its the flasher unit or the blinker switch?

These are my thoughts on the problems with my limited experience. I am looking for wisdom from the experienced experts.

Thanks,
Max

Tlauden

I would start by replace all filters, then if the stalling problem persists more trouble shooting is in order, That's just my 2cents. Also we love pics here so break out the camera!!

And welcome to SS, you will find tons of info here, remember to search before asking

Last edited:

maxpanic

So remaining question is: What is the best recommendation to get a replacement blinker switch?

Will it take a standard civy k30 replacement part? Will any chevy pickup from the '80s have an acceptable replacement or do I need something from another M1008?

pmramsey

Check the actualsignal lights for operation. My dash signal indicator lights work when they feel like it but the outside signals work just fine.

MrBouncer

I have been given the advice by members on here It is electrcial clean it, If it is rubber replace it. Take that advice I would service everything asap

91W350

I never had the die coming off a hard run attack me yet. The late shifting transmission was a cracked vacuum line on my M1009. Flasher units are cheap, bulbs are too, they are all 12 volt like a regular Chevy. Glen

idM1028

For your blinkers I'd check all the small stuff first (bulbs, sockets, fuses, etc.) and start working from there. IMHO this is pretty good advice when working on anything automotive. Also be sure to check the TM (aka -20) You can find it here: http://www.jatonkam35s.com/CUCVTechnicalmanuals/tm9-2320-289-20.pdf
It has wiring diagrams for the CUCV's and comes in pretty handy when trying to troubleshoot electrical gremlins. Speaking of troubleshooting, it has directions for that too. Welcome to the site.

These guys come across stern but if u really get in a bind they will answer your questions:mrgreen: yall know who u are hahah i should know im still a newbie welcome to the Green White Black and Red side lol (laugh all yall wont i have seen all 4 colors not on the same truck but i have seen the trucks painted that way i have a red one :]) Any how welcome To the Steel soldiers forum any questions some will definetly try to answer it for ya [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks