• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

first timer needs advice

100dollarman

1st post.

I found this forum while reseaching how to buy mil surplus. Great source for info!

I just bought 5 dueces from GL Barstow, and had a couple of questions that maybe someone could answer for me.

I did no preview. After my euc clears, can I go in there and drive them out if I can get them to run? I am only about 35 miles away. Or- if that is not possible, or they dont run- who should I call that could deliver for me? I assume we would need ramps and a winch to put them on the trailer. Probably 2 at a time.

I am sure I will have more questions!

Thanks in advance for any input!

Mark.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark:
Welcome! Unless you see something obvious on the pictures, statistically about 98% of the vehicles will run. I have driven two home, and have tow-barred another, but not because it did not run. Some people get one or more running, and use them to tow-bar others.
Expect the batteries to either be gone or down. Take fluids like fuel, silicone brake fluid, anti-freeze, 15w-40 engine oil. Some have flat tires, so take a good air tank or a air hose that can be connected to a running truck's emergency glad hand to inflate tires. We have run them 110 miles with one of the dual tires flat with no problem at slower speeds like 50 MPH.
I am speaking of trucks we have gotten at Fort Knox and Stout Field in Indianapolis. I have never been to Barstow, but I would think you could do the same there.
Regards Marti

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, welcome! It's nice to see another So Cal member. There are a few people up by Barstow, maybe they'll chime in and offer a hand. There is a sticky at the top of the deuce forum, check it out. It gives a rundown of what to bring when recovering one of these beasts. Read the 10 manual, it helps.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100dollarman said:
1st post.

I found this forum while reseaching how to buy mil surplus. Great source for info!

I just bought 5 dueces from GL Barstow, and had a couple of questions that maybe someone could answer for me.

I did no preview. After my euc clears, can I go in there and drive them out if I can get them to run? I am only about 35 miles away. Or- if that is not possible, or they dont run- who should I call that could deliver for me? I assume we would need ramps and a winch to put them on the trailer. Probably 2 at a time.

I am sure I will have more questions!

Thanks in advance for any input!

Mark.
Wowzers!! You really like to jump into the deep end of the pool, huh?

Great score, though! I suppose I'm a little jealous.

You'll enjoy a little challange. Hopefully just that. A little challange. Five deuces only 35 miles away? That sounds like fun, actually. You and a couple trusted friends should be able to make that happen. Once you get the first runner squared away and home, you'll know more for the remaining four.

Not my call, and your finances are none of my business, but I'll just say this; "Avoid paying for delivery if you can!" Use the $$ you save for greater things! Enjoy the recoveries! Fun stuff!

Keep us posted on progress. Let us know where the trucks originally came from and how the folks at the pick-up site treat you. Looking forward to pics! Good luck, and GOOD JOB!

100dollarman

Thanks for the warm welcome and the responses, guys!

I am a sucker for anything truck, tractor, 4x4, 6x6, odd, lots of gears, etc. Not trying to sell anything here, but check out my page to see some "sorta" looking mil vehicles- www.libertyminimog.com . Some of you may find them interesting. I sell trucks and tractors for a living, but plan on possibly buying and selling some surplus too. We'll see how that goes--- I am really a newbie when it comes to mil vehicles. What I know came in the last month or so--- Yeah, I jumped right in to the deep end! Now we'll see if I'll sink or swim (swim! as always!) I took the $$$ for my next load of mini trucks and spent it on the dueces. Hopefully, I'll get some good ones and be able to sell them for a little profit. But like most of you, I am not only in it for the profit- maybe enough to support my habit. I love this stuff!

I think "the recovery" will be part of the fun. Worst thing that can happen is I hire a truck to bring them home. Looking forward to it! And I plan on buying more "stuff" !!!

Thanks!
Mark.

Jones

If you've already made your purchase(s) then it's too late for advice; what you need now is moral support.
Welcome to the fold; there's a lot of knowledge and experience wrapped up here and we ain't too proud to share. The library is great and has almost everything published on your new-to-you M-XXX. A lot of people here have already owned, or worked on, or recovered what you've bought so they're good for the finer tricks and secrets to figure out how/why a given part works... or doesn't.
It goes without saying that in addition to materials and fluids to start and service your trucks, the proper paperwork and insurance for the trip home is necessary. Some places won't let you OFF post unless you can show some sort of trip permit and insurance coverage.

100dollarman

Ha! I could use a little moral support after filling out the EUC! Trying to figure out how to fill it out so it will be acceptable. I am reading the threads about that.

I think I have the insurance covered-

How street legal are these when I get them? Not? If they will let them out the gate, I can drive desert back roads on the way home. Or, there is a DMV close by in Barstow for a permit. I wont know if I will drive them until I can get them running and roadable- at least mechanically. And, I wouldnt want to get a permit unless I knew they were drivable.
Does anyone know if Barstow is going to let me drive 'em off post without a permit???
I wasnt going to worry about registering/titling them for the street until after I get them, but is that something that I should be working on now?

Thanks!
Mark.

FreightTrain

Banned
ummm,you do have a CDL right?Would they allow someone without proper state drivers license to drive off in one of these trucks?In Kalifornicate you have to have a CDL to drive a deuce(or a non commercial CDL or whatever they call it out yonder).

100dollarman

FreightTrain said:
ummm,you do have a CDL right?Would they allow someone without proper state drivers license to drive off in one of these trucks?In Kalifornicate you have to have a CDL to drive a deuce(or a non commercial CDL or whatever they call it out yonder).
See- that shows how new I am!!! I am learning as I go and I appreciate all the info. I thought I read that a regular license was all that was required on a duece because not full airbrakes. Can someone confirm or deny that knows for sure? I dont have a CDL, but a few friends do- possibly could con them into driving. If I hit too many roadblocks I may have to hire transport. Hopefully, I will figure out how to drive 'em home- that sounds like waaay more fun!

Thx,
Mark.

ps- I am going to keep asking questions until you all get sick of me.

FreightTrain

Banned
Per federal and a most free states(hey,I take any oportunity I can to bash Kali and their laws....sorry......the sane people can't catch a break out there!) a normal license will work on any vehicle under 26,000Lb non air brakes,Non hazmat and under 16 passenger payload no being used to make money(Per the grey areas I can drive any vehicle as long as I am not making money in bama even a peterbilt).But per kali if it has 3 axles it is automatically a CDL required vehicle.

Years of my state being the butthole of every southern joke to come from Hollywierd has caused me to lash out at that Goofy state on the left side.....

FreightTrain

Banned
yea,check out some of the signatures....you can't stop at just one!....even though...Offy's is wrong...he only owns the M35A2 W/W well,he will when he pays wrecker.The other one wrecker sold before offy could hide it and the 105 is traded off......plus the 1074 is still the top secret supply base.....but,I will end up talking him into buy more green iron........and I will have more when I get a JOB!!!

Bigmillman

Fudge the government with a fist! Here in Michigan we have a lovely little plate that lets any numb noggin drive about anything without a CDL. Ahh the blessed log/farm plate. It has some restrictions and some extra freedoms. But is cheeper than a commercial plate and a CDL. Oh, and 2-1/2 tons are under our 14,000 pound cap for CDL requirements. I would have gotten a 5 tonner instead of my duece had I known. My first plate for my duece was over $700 a year, now costs $90. Much better. More money for fun parts on the duece!
So check with your dmv for options. And welcome!! rofl

1qwkgoat

So just to clarify does GL normally check to see if you have a ins./permit. before they allow you to leave with the truck. As was said earlier, I also don't plan to get ins/permit stuff until I have it home and operationa, i'm also only 30 miles away from the GL lot. Not that I am just stubborn and don't want to go through the hassle. But the $$$, don't want to waste it on 6 months of ins/permit,title. To have it sit at my house for that long until I can get it road worthy. Working fewer hours to go to college has really strained the budget.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I picked trucks up with Rob, before we left the lot, they check to make sure we have some documents stating that the vehicle is insured, and at least has a one-way trip permit for the road. Other than that, happy trails!

If you are indeed worried about bringing it home, from a legality standpoint, or safety standpoint, have a tow truck or flatbed hauler bring it home for you.

100dollarman

After getting ALOT of info from members, I decided that I am going to hire a friend of mine that moves equipment for a living. He has a HD truck, and a 48' lowboy with ramps and a big winch. I think we can get all 5 home in a day. That way I wont have to even try to start them at the Base (I prolly will, though!). Then I can check them out more thoroughly at home--- get them running, safety ck, etc.

Of course, this all depends on my EUCs clearing!

I did buy another deuce from a private party that has title and historic plates on it. I posted another thread on it but- 1970, drove it home 200 miles. I was alittle worried about not having a class B, but we made it without incident. My insurance covers anything I buy for 20 days- so I think I was covered there. Here is a pic in case you didnt see it.

Thanks again everybody!

Mark.

ps- anyone have any reports on how long they have been waiting for their first EUCs?

Attachments