• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First trip to Fair Radio in Lima, OH - vintage military radio heaven!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went out to New Castle, PA, to visit a friend of mine last week, had an extra day so we decided to make a day trip out to west Ohio and visit Fair Radio Sales. He had visited them a couple decades ago at their old place, I had never been to Fair Radio at either location, so this was a treat.

All I can say is, WOW! The front "display room" was loaded, shelf after shelf, aisle after aisle of mostly military surplus vacuum-tube era gear. They also had two larger storage rooms in back, also loaded, stacked floor to ceiling. Lots of radio gear, test equipment, cables, mounts, speakers, control boxes, manuals, canvas, etc. etc. etc. They had individual electronic components like caps, transformers, tubes, wire, knobs, etc. too. We only had a couple hours to spend, we both agreed that next time we will have to get there earlier and spend the day. It's too much to take in, you really need to bring a flashlight and a boatload of patience to pick through everything, as you could spend a week here and not see everything. Truly an old surplus store/ham radio paradise!

What I must say to all here who are into older equipment - Fair Radio has been around since 1947, most of the WWII era stuff is gone, but they have mountains of stuff from mostly the 1950s thru the 1980s timeframe. Some earlier, some later, but that's mostly the eras covered. The prices are about retail, but if you can get there if will be worth your while as you don't have to worry about paying the escalating shipping costs if you pick it up yourself. Also, no excuses for those who say they "can't find the radio gear they need" for their MV radio installation - trust me, it's here! You just have to pick through it all, like old-fashioned surplus places used to be.

I purchased a AN/GRR-5 radio while I was there, I have had a few over the years but had to sell them when I lost my job years back. This replaces the ones I had to part with. Also got an EICO tube tester, I need one for my bench. My buddy get a small boxload of toys. Lots of fun, I already have a few things mentally picked out in my head for next time.

Some pics of the place for you all to enjoy!

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pics for your enjoyment!

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, I will probably be making another run out there in about 4 months or so, if you want me to pick something up for you to save shipping costs, I can bring it back to the East Coast for you. I figure I'll be seeing you at Graves on Labor Day weekend, so that's an option.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What an incredible stash of cool stuff. Do they only sell equipment that works or do you not know what your getting?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for those catalog pics, papakb! I have one of the older catalogs as well, I think from the early 1970s, flipping through it makes me drool what with all the WWII gear in it, most of which was in nice used shape or even new in box! Not much of that stuff left anywhere, and certainly not for the prices they were charging back then!

What an incredible stash of cool stuff. Do they only sell equipment that works or do you not know what your getting?
Most of their stuff in the catalog or online falls into certain catagories. Stuff in the back storage rooms are pretty much as-is untested. From what I understand for the catalog stuff, here's the options:

New - obvious

Used-Reconditioned - not much of their stuff is like this, but means that it works, it's been checked, and it's been redone (not by them) to be in an excellent condition or better.

Used-Checked - Used condition, they played with it and it seems to work within normal parameters.

Used-Repairable - Used, complete, but they tried it out, doesn't work to normal specs. Sometimes they know what's wrong, sometimes they don't.

As far as I know, Fair Radio does not do their own repairs. I did see a very small technician area there, but it might be rarely used or only for certain operations, like checking the gear out. Doesn't necessarily mean they refurb the equipment before sale. Fair to say that in all honesty, if you're in their place, and shopping for 50+ year old radios or electronic gear, that you should at least have some idea of the nature of the hobby you're in - that you are looking for equipment with an unknown history, both operationally and maintenence-wise, that is designed to have high voltage running through it. If you're just buying a radio to use as a static display, no issues. However, if you plan to use this gear, best to learn how to test and troubleshoot the gear yourself, with proper safety and test gear, to be sure it works properly and within your expectations of operation.

WNY Renegade

I went out to New Castle, PA, to visit a friend of mine last week, had an extra day so we decided to make a day trip out to west Ohio and visit Fair Radio Sales. He had visited them a couple decades ago at their old place, I had never been to Fair Radio at either location, so this was a treat.

All I can say is, WOW! The front "display room" was loaded, shelf after shelf, aisle after aisle of mostly military surplus vacuum-tube era gear. They also had two larger storage rooms in back, also loaded, stacked floor to ceiling. Lots of radio gear, test equipment, cables, mounts, speakers, control boxes, manuals, canvas, etc. etc. etc. They had individual electronic components like caps, transformers, tubes, wire, knobs, etc. too. We only had a couple hours to spend, we both agreed that next time we will have to get there earlier and spend the day. It's too much to take in, you really need to bring a flashlight and a boatload of patience to pick through everything, as you could spend a week here and not see everything. Truly an old surplus store/ham radio paradise!

What I must say to all here who are into older equipment - Fair Radio has been around since 1947, most of the WWII era stuff is gone, but they have mountains of stuff from mostly the 1950s thru the 1980s timeframe. Some earlier, some later, but that's mostly the eras covered. The prices are about retail, but if you can get there if will be worth your while as you don't have to worry about paying the escalating shipping costs if you pick it up yourself. Also, no excuses for those who say they "can't find the radio gear they need" for their MV radio installation - trust me, it's here! You just have to pick through it all, like old-fashioned surplus places used to be.

I purchased a AN/GRR-5 radio while I was there, I have had a few over the years but had to sell them when I lost my job years back. This replaces the ones I had to part with. Also got an EICO tube tester, I need one for my bench. My buddy get a small boxload of toys. Lots of fun, I already have a few things mentally picked out in my head for next time.

Some pics of the place for you all to enjoy!
Just made the trip last week, before the Findlay show, pictures can't do it justice, just bring a good flashlight....

Wile E. Coyote

Yeah I kept a bunch of their catalogues from the mid-late 80s and *man* there was a lot of stuff around then including some more modern kit (Regency Net/ GRC-215 stuff for example) but now it looks like all they can get is a lot of the older generation glow-in-the-dark stuff and not much newer than a PRC-77. Still very much Aladdin's Cave though. Thanks for the pics.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went back to Fair Radio on Monday - beautiful summer day in Ohio, passed hundreds of miles of corn fields on the way there. Great day for picking around in the back room. Saved a handful of things there, a few metal cases/project boxes, a AT-784 loop antenna set, a box load of MX-2799 antenna bases (the Vietnam-era square ones that were for the early VRC-12 sets) that will need rebuilding. Also a really nice condition 1950s-era Collins 75A-3 receiver, will need a little TLC and a couple small missing parts replaced, but the overall condition is excellent. Been looking for a nice Collins receiver and this will be perfect.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks