Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!
I was told by one of my Gunnies once that it rains when God is crying and it was probably because of something I said. (Not accusing, just passing it along)I suppose because I was busy Wednesday trying to get everything finished so we could test drive the Mite and possibly get it home before the predicted monsoon arrived Thursday morning, I neglected to take my usual "in progress" photographs. Some folks chuckle because I take so many pictures, but they are helpful later for recording exactly what was done, and how.
No matter, I'll take the seat back out later to paint the frame, I'll take my pictures then.
Once the seats were removed from the Mite floor, I was confronted by a plethora of holes. Whoever put those seats in had serious issues with spatial awareness and how to use any type of measuring device. It appears that he just drilled holes until he got four that allowed the seat bolts to all go through the floor at the same time. I may have uttered some unkind words about him and his ancestry.
Ideally, we would have welded these up, but remember the entire body is aluminium. Without knowing more about the aluminium itself, Jason didn't feel he could do it without possibly doing more damage than good. My own welding skills go little beyond "Ooh! Sparky fire make metal stick together!".
So, bolts, washers and sealant for the bigger holes, plain sealant for the smaller ones. The floor can always be revisited later once I find someone who can do the job properly.
Then, time to drive it !?! Nope....
While we thought the new rear wiring harness ran where it was supposed to, it had inadvertently been run along inside a panel it should have been outside of, so the clutch pedal linkage was hitting the harness. More naughty words. It was late by then, so we gave up for the night.
Typical Texas springtime - On Wednesday it was 87* and 90% humidity in the shop, the humidity left over from rain that morning.
Thursday morning it was 49* and hosing down rain outside.
I disconnected, moved, and reconnected the wiring harness, checked all the lights and they all still worked. The intake shutter grill was installed. I primed some bits and pieces to be painted green. Still hosing down rain outside.
So I packed up all the no-longer-needed spare parts and my wiring kit to take home. Still hosing down rain outside.
I vacuumed the vehicle out, then practiced getting in and out of the drivers seat, I actually look competent at that now! Still hosing rain outside, forecast is rain until Sunday.
But I want to drive this thing!!
Finally, the torrential rain abated to just rain. We've been wet before and haven't dissolved yet, so out we go to drive the Mite around the yard. That thing is a ball - zippy, light on the steering, and comfortable for such a tiny truck. And everything worked....except, the front brakes. The back brakes will lock up, but nothing up front.
Apparently the front brake line has clogged up. Early on, we blew air through it and it seemed clear, but now pushing hard on the pedal there is no flow to the front brakes at all. There are too many tight bends in the line to just shove something through to clean it out, so I'll see if I can find the right NOS ones from Bensinger. No more progress until the parts arrive.
View attachment 894702 View attachment 894694 View attachment 894695 View attachment 894696 View attachment 894697 View attachment 894698 View attachment 894703 View attachment 894700 View attachment 894701
We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!