• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flashing gen 2 light

blitzengine

I am new member here to SS and I am very impressed with SS, keep up the good work. I have gathered here alot of info to help me to better understand and troubshoot my 84 M1009. After reading through the treads and gathering information I was able to get my GEN 2 light to come on and get my charging system to work again. The problem was a bad generator 2 relay under the dash, it was clicking but was not sending power to the passanger side alternator. Now I am faced with another dilema, the Gen 2 light flashes at high rpms and when I use the brake. When I turn on the lights it stops flashing. I have checked the grounds, the belts and the voltage meters is in the green. Can anyone help me find a solution to this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance. [thumbzup]

taildragger03

I have the same problem with my #2 gen. I have it narrowed down to the voltage regulator inside the alternator. Basically what is happening with mine, is an over-charge issue. That alternator is putting out 29 volts. With that in mind, check the volts coming out of the #2 alternator (gen). Should be around 14 volts. Give that a try. If it is over-charging, many of us have rebuilt our own alternators as an option. Also, make sure you read through the Technical Manuals (TM's) along with the Appendix F which has the wiring schematics.

blitzengine

I appreciate your help Taildragger03, and the fast reply ! It makes sense if it is over charging it is usually the regulator but if there is no charge it could be the diodes or the brushes or something worse. I will give it a try, Thank you for shedding some light on the subject.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks