• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat Tow m342a2?

98hd

Looks as though I am picking one up.

I imagine they are a bit heavier than a standard M35, can I still towbar one safely behind my deuce? I'd use the XM818, but it is getting a new trans at the moment.

Anyone know where to get a long trailer cable that I can plug into the rear of the towed truck (I read you can hook up the trailer plugs, unplug the turn signal in the towed truck and have lights). Or where to get plugs to make one up?

Need to figure out something soon.

DanMartin

How far are you towing it?

Maybe some other SS member could help you out with a more appropriate tow rig? A wrecker or something?

If you're pulling it across town, you should be OK if you keep the speed down and are careful with stopping distances and turning. Any more than that and I would employ a wrecker of some kind, or get it on a trailer.

98hd

Re: RE: Flat Tow m342a2?

DanMartin said:
How far are you towing it?

Maybe some other SS member could help you out with a more appropriate tow rig? A wrecker or something?

If you're pulling it across town, you should be OK if you keep the speed down and are careful with stopping distances and turning. Any more than that and I would employ a wrecker of some kind, or get it on a trailer.
About 120 miles.

Reading your post, you make it sound like it weighs as much as a 5 ton.

I did a search and found a pic of a data plate. 15,000lbs. So about 2-3k more than my deuce.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Flat Tow m342a2?

OOHH an M342...nice.

I want one of those real bad...some day. You gotta post some pics.

Barrman

You should be fine flat towing that with a M35A2. Just the usual reminder about reduced braking ability and tight turns at slow speed on dirt or rough pavement.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Yeah, you can pull it. I pulled home a 5ton dump with my 109. If you are worried about it, you can tie the towed vehicle brakes into the tow vehicle's breaks. I might have a cble you can borrow for lights. Let me know if one is not closer to you.

poppop

I just towed my M35 A2 to the Ga. Rally. I used a regular M105 trailer cable to plug in to the towing M813 and spliced in a three wire extension cord to get to the rear. Just inserted bare copper into the right pin holes and secured that and spliced in the cord. Worked great, but remember to disconnect the turn signal harness in the towed truck or you will not have signals when you apply the brakes.

98hd

I've read about modding the air pack to get brakes, but for this one tow it doesn't seem worth it, plus I don't have a place to work on it either.

So for the cable to tow, I was thinking I could get a couple trailer power cables. Has the trailer plug on one end, and 8 wires w/ connectors on the other end. Then just add wiring inbetween.

-

Attachments

98hd

Recovry4x4 said:
Very nice. One day Ill have the jack to buy one of these.
Start saving your pennies Kenny. I may flip the truck, something else has caught my eye since I made the offer on this, can't decide which I really want more, I do love these little dumps though.

It needs some add ons taken off, non-correct seats, radio put in map compartment, 12v alternator, aftermarket heater, carpet kit!!!, and the correct parts put in. Also, needs tires, and a full PM. If I still have it by next summer I will probably paint it too.

I'm planning on parting my m35a2c for those parts, and putting the cab on my 5-ton.

It has the power steering kit too!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
98hd said:
Anyone know where to get a long trailer cable that I can plug into the rear of the towed truck (I read you can hook up the trailer plugs, unplug the turn signal in the towed truck and have lights). Or where to get plugs to make one up?

Need to figure out something soon.
Just did this with two Dueces. All I had was a junk extension cord. I cut off both ends and striped about 3/4" insulation off. I only used 3 wires.

E - tail light
B - left turn
J - right turn

I stuffed the wires into the plugs and the plug cover held everything in place. The trip was 95 miles and it worked great. Remember to unscrew the connector from the turn signal switch.

Warthog

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks