• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flat towing a m1008 with a m1009

84cucv1ton

i would never do this normally. it a m1008 rolling shell. thats it. need to get back here and start cutting. should be ok? about 1 1/2 hour ride. thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ten-0-nine with 3.08 gears is no powerhouse. You say shell, does that mean no powerpack? If the powerpack is gone you reduce the weight quite a bit. I'd be inclined to try it just watch your tranny temps. As short as the 09s are, stopping and slowing in turns could wipe you out. Be careful, very careful.

hobie237

I'd rather flat tow it than put it on a trailer. That said, I don't think it's advisable, but if you keep your speeds down and don't do any sudden moves, it should be OK. Falls into the "bad idea, but you can make it work" category.

2deuce

No hills, no emergency stops. Keep it very slow. But 1 1/2 hour trip at what speed? I'd advise getting a better tow vehicle. I've done it before and never again.

CCATLETT1984

I'd agree, try to find another truck to tow with. Don't you know someone with a 3/4ton or 1ton truck?

The biggest thing that is gonna hurt you using the blazer to tow is the short wheelbase.

BobM

I flat towed my 1008 644 miles from Md to In and had no problems. But I towed a 3/4 ton chevy pickup without engine/tranny 8 miles and it was a nightmare! Without the engine/tranny in it the pickup wouldn't track worth a darn. Some are easy, some aren't. And it isn't always easy to tell which will be which!;-)
Good luck.
BTW: Even being a nightmare, I made it all right. just be careful!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks