• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat towing a Tractor

FreightTrain

Banned
Has anyone ever flat towed a M52 behind a deuce?Wonder if it could handle the M52 behind it without working brakes......Tow deuce would be a M35A2 with 10 radials around it.Great working brakes,good running engine with S280 shelter in bed with 6-8 11.00x20NDT tires on 5 ton rims in the box for extra weight/spares.Think it would be ok for a few hundred miles at slower speeds?45-50MPH.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I flat towed a similar weight truck behind the tractor (unladen) deuce for 30 miles at 40 mph max. It was early Sunday morning so little traffic, and I would not have gone if it were raining. Lane changes are a 1/2 mile long affair. I would say reasonably safe, but still white knuckle.

Sephirothq

Just put some weight in the back of the duece. IT will slow you down a bit yes, but you won't be pushed around as easily. That would be the worst part if the back end kicked out on you. I am sure you know how to down shift to control your speed. so it shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure you don't let yourself get into a position where you need to panic stop. That would be a bad day. are you going to disconnect the driveshafts?? YOu will be able to steer better if they are dropped and you won't have the potential for the trans or transfer case to slip into gear, again a bad day.
good luck and god speed.

Alredneck

Banned
Get up there and fix the line, lines are cheap for metal ones and if you go to the crappy plastic stuff even cheaper. A good flaring tool dont cost much either.

If you can get the tractor brakes working get your self a good air compressor line and some extra glad hands. Hook the glad hands to the deuce then run the others to the tractor so it feeds off the deuce tank, then you can use the tractor brakes like a trailer with brakes.

Done this many time with APoc pulling 5tons before I got my big pretty gooseneck. Works well and saves you from having to worry. 6 axles with brakes is always better than 3! Good luck and safe recovery, call me if you need anything. Captain

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well FT...I've weighed in on this before and still think it's a bad idea. If - like alredneck says..you get the brakes working on the towed vehicle, and IF you use the M52 to help in braking..that's a little different.

HOWEVER... FAV and I towed my white M52 MAYBE 25 miles with the 813 Guntruck. Brakes etc worked fine...but that rascal fought the towbar and the 813 all the way! They are know for it. A couple of times I looked in the mirror and it looked like the M52 was trying to pull in the left lane to pass me...LOL. (Has some slack in the steering)

For the distance you need to travel...I vote a 5ton for the tow vehicle...and using the brakes on the towed vehicle.
Just trying to watch out for a friend-------:soapbox:

scooter01922

I vote you try to fix those brakes. If it was a short distance sure why not but a couple hundred miles???? No way, not without the tractors brakes working would i try it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks