• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat towing possible?

dirtyfingernails

Are these vehicles (specifically an M1028) able to be flat towed? I need to haul one about 50 miles. Have a medium tow bar with 3/4 inch crow's feet. Would be towing with an F250 with 6 liter diesel. Thanks.
Steve

Westech

CPL
you bet, put the T case In "N" and leave the trans in park. If you are going to tow over 45 mph make sure to remove the rear drive shaft or you will cook the T case. Yes I have cooked mine. You have to keep it slow due to the gearing, or remove the rear drive shaft.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CUCV uses 1" pins. If you use the 3/4 stuff it will either be sloppy or you can bush it up.

2deuce

I'd like to add make sure your tow vehicle is heavy enough. If your box is empty on the F250 I'd keep it under 45mph. I just towed a M1028 with a F450 and med tow bar last week. It towed perfectly. Make sure your steering is unlocked in the m1028 too.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I towed an M1009 about 350 miles with a toyota tundra and was fine. Drove very carefully and disconnected the rear driveshaft and hung it up tight with a bungee cord. I too have burned up a transfer case by flat towing too long, too fast.