• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flexible brake lines - age question

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since going fast is nice, but stopping is far more important, I decided to replace, amongst other things, all flex lines on the new-to-me truck.

I obtained "new" brake hoses as a complete set from a seller that is mentioned around here once in a while and sells on ePay. When the parcel arrived, I was a little miffed to discover that they are obviously NOS. They are clean, not cracked but stamped with what looks like a 1996 manufacturing date.

Should I send them to the museum or never mind and use them? They are in much better condition than what is on the truck, that is a given.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Some trucks have original equipment on them still. NOS is still technically "new". If you can flex it and it doesn't crack, I'd run it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on what gimpy said. As long as they are flexible, have no cracks in them and the inside isn't swollen shut, you're golden. I replaced mine with NOS from AVTE and they are fine.

Bill W

Half the ones I bought are nos or new production and they seem fine when compared to each other
You'll also want to check the hard (steel) lines to, I just replaced the main fwd and aft (5/16th) steel lines as I went to put a wrench on the rear one and it just broke off in my hand

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the confirmations! I will use the flex lines.

As for the steel lines, I paid close attention when I bled the brakes for any rust flakes, gunk or the like and the brake fluid came out nice and clean. The truck is a southern truck that most certainly has never seen road salt. The underside looks pristine, with only very little surface rust here and there.
I inspected the lines I could see and they appear fine. When I put the wrench to them I will see a bit more. I would just hate to rip them off without good reason.

Bill W

"The truck is a southern truck that most certainly has never seen road salt. The underside looks pristine, with only very little surface rust here and there."

Go ahead and rub it in!!!!:cry:
My truck came from Michigan...what a mess!

littlebob

Half the ones I bought are nos or new production and they seem fine when compared to each other
You'll also want to check the hard (steel) lines to, I just replaced the main fwd and aft (5/16th) steel lines as I went to put a wrench on the rear one and it just broke off in my hand
Not to steal or put this thread in a different direction, but I changed a few of my metal lines with ones premade from NAPA. afterwards I found they need to be
flared in a special way to be used with the high pressures a brake system puts out.
I havn't had a chance yet to see if I have to change or put the proper flare on them.

Bill W

If your talking about the lines being double flared, The NAPA metal lines I just bought are already made that way

DMaddox

I just went though my brake system and replace all lines, steel and rubber.
The main lines i.e from the master cylinder to the airpack out to the splitter behind the spare tire then out to the rubber lines to the axles. All 5/16, the lines across the axles 1/4.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks