• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flood Trucks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to Matt in Live Oak last night. He bought 2 of the flood trucks from LA in the first sale with them and he's got them home. He was saying that one of the trucks was cleaned after being submerged and it looks pretty good. He's draining everything now to give a better assessment of the condition. He's pretty sure both engines have water in them but hasn't started draining them yet. The other truck was not cleaned and is very crusty. This truck will be chopped to recover basic items for inspection and resale.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If a vehicle isn't serviced imediately following a fording operation or a dip in the water, a lot of damage will result. For example, just driving in water deep enough to submerge the axles would require all the wheel bearings to be inspected. No other way to make sure the seals held up.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've done major overhaul on axles after submersion in fresh water. Best case scenario for me was the axle was hot, cooling it rapidly in water sucked fresh water past the seals and contaminated the gear lube. The lube was whipped into a nice milkshake looking crap. That one was take care of with a thorough cleaning of the gearset with brake-clean and a fresh fill. Worst case was my Mog. It had a bad outer oil seal, which allowed oil out and water in. When I bought it, the portal box was filled with a rusty paste and both lower bearings were toast. That required a complete tear down and R&R.

I can only imagine how corroded a set of axles would be after a nice soak in salt-water or brackish water.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They all looked pretty crusty when I was down there. Which trucks did he get 21/2 tons or contact maint., the cont. maint. trucks looked like they were just written off and nothing was done to save them not even washing them off with a hose!
James G.

PS: Did anyone on the forum buy the one of the M816s that were there? They were pretty rusted up but the engins showed no sign of water getting into them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks