• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLOORING AND MOULDED FLOORING OPTION

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was advised by a friend that applied carpet to the floors that it would gather mold, and you would get the smell and perhaps the dreaded black mold that is a health hazard. So he removed the carpeting he installed. But he fords his rig.

I don't ford my rig, or at least never have yet, so I figured I would buy some bulk marine grade boat carpet. I asked a few interior places and they did not want to touch the job. So I purchased some marine grade boat carpet, a few boxes or sound deadener, and some 3M spray adhesive. I did not stitch any of the carpet so it does fray. Best to go to a boat place and see if you can buy a carpet remnant as it will be cheaper than buying carpet on-line. For Sound deadener, I used an off brand as the name brands were just too darn expensive. I used something called Kilmat. Make sure you get a bulk amount of razor blades to cut the carpet. Change them often and you will get clean cuts without as much fraying.

So far, no mold has developed. Even though the rig is parked on a hill and rain that leaks in tends to puddles in the front floor pans. Seems to be gone by the next day. Water does not stay long in the Florida inferno.

I found that most panels are flat, with some exceptions like the dog house. I just took my time on those areas. If I screwed it up, I would just rip it out and start over. I cut the carpet into large pieces as follows:

• Bed floor
  • Bed sides (2)
  • Center tunnel
  • Dog house
  • Behind the rear seats and front of the bed divider
  • The rear of the bed divider
  • Each of the passenger areas (4)
I am no pro, but it turned out decent enough that it looks good and kills a lot of sound.

Only word of caution I would say is that if later, you want to remove the carpet, it will be a real PITA as that glue does not come up easily. And if you want to remove the panels of rubber sound deadener, it is almost impossible. Dry Ice can be used to help scrape it off, but it would take many weeks of agonizing work.