• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 binding clutch lubrication

kirk

The clutch on both FLU 419s were almost stuck at mid pedal travel. I put up with it for a couple of years. I was able to lubricate the throw out bearing “collar” where it slides on the transmission input shaft “tube” today. Cut a hole where it looks like an access panel was planned. Pressed the clutch pedal to floor and held it with a piece of wood. Lubed the lower side of the “tube” using grease on a piece of welding rod. Lubed the upper side of the “tube” by lifting a cord with a weight over the “tube” with a bent piece of aluminum welding rod and letting it fall, then putting grease on the cord and worked it back and forth over the top. Still have to put a dab of grease on the two fingers. This was the HMMH. I’m guessing the SEE is the same but don’t have that one here now to verify that. Note the galling on the magnified photo.A0FE3350-EEE2-4DB9-9511-70C1229C9CC6.jpeg8695B040-4BE2-4880-836F-C41FBE5CFEFB.jpegAC52FA54-A48F-4D52-9743-96D448FA979C.jpegADE226D8-E10E-4268-A97C-230A6A1B03E0.jpeg657B34F8-13D5-416A-805F-11EE55B9AD60.jpeg77CD2657-D618-413F-8CEC-9A2F715694C6.jpeg5C1B1EE8-CBB9-4654-8138-779EAB8D8AE8.jpeg334264A6-21AA-4FF5-877D-6BE8EE77ABA4.jpeg

Gringo

The clutch on both FLU 419s were almost stuck at mid pedal travel. I put up with it for a couple of years. I was able to lubricate the throw out bearing “collar” where it slides on the transmission input shaft “tube” today. Cut a hole where it looks like an access panel was planned. Pressed the clutch pedal to floor and held it with a piece of wood. Lubed the lower side of the “tube” using grease on a piece of welding rod. Lubed the upper side of the “tube” by lifting a cord with a weight over the “tube” with a bent piece of aluminum welding rod and letting it fall, then putting grease on the cord and worked it back and forth over the top. Still have to put a dab of grease on the two fingers. This was the HMMH. I’m guessing the SEE is the same but don’t have that one here now to verify that. Note the galling on the magnified photo.View attachment 885178View attachment 885179View attachment 885180View attachment 885181View attachment 885182View attachment 885183View attachment 885184View attachment 885185
Very interesting,

I am considering doing the same thing or something similar.

Has it helped with the Clutch pedal/smoother shifting etc....?

Would appreciate any more photos you might have regarding the Clutch and Release Collar/Bearing and shouldered washer. I am trying to determine if perhaps the Clutch plate or the Release Collar is a little cock-eyed and causing very difficult shifting and grinding into 3rd Gear, but so far Ive only been using a bore light and its still pretty hard to get a wide angle/ overall view rather than just being able to see a little bit at a time from different angles.

Was gonna try to lube the shaft and Collar, Bearing and shouldered washer all from the small hole where the Starter mates to the wheel in the Bell housing . This way seems lije it woukd be much better so long as the bell housing wasnt effected/leaks etc.... by drilling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks