• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fluid dynamics anyone?

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
doing a little bit of plumbing on my deuce's breathers and have a question...
If I plumb into the air filter housing would I be connecting to a low pressure area? (bad enough to pull gear oil out)

Obviously it would be worse on the turbo side(inside) of the filter as opposed to the mushroom side(outside).

Jones

Upstream of the filter would be very little if any vacuum but you'd be in unfiltered air. If you were downstream of the filter you'd definately be in a low pressure area and inches of vacuum would depend on how plugged the filter was. Remember too that the drive train breathers are all in the top of their gear case and the most you see up there is foam and spray, not straight liquid.
You're welcome to use any or all of this idea; Since the baby HEMTT is straight air I need a way to allow the back sides of the brake chambers to equalize as they apply and release without inhaling water if fording. I'm gonna make up some "manifolds" for the front and rear axles and will also connect axle and gearbox breathers so that they get fresh air from high up on the truck. Have started laying them out and will take pictures as I go.

rmgill

It would seem to me that running the breathers to a fording pipe that supports the mushroom where there's a small filter on the fording pipe for the various breathers would work pretty well.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When not pressurized, it's only a vent.
Why bother the engine air intake system, I have mine high on the firewall on the engine side along with a valve to switch from vent to pressure.
Like Leonard stated, the outside of the filter is at outside atmospheric pressure (unless there is some severe restriction present) and the inside of the filter will have a slight vacuum depending on how dirty the filter is.
The filter restriction gauge next to the steering wheel indicates the vacuum and a full red indication is about 20 inches of water IIRC, I have an actual gauge plumbed in and will come back with a normal vacuum reading if you are interested....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks