• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fluids on the 1028

Swede

Ok, I'm new to the MV world at the same time being new to the Diesel world. Now my question is (for a non-engine person) what fluids should I change, when, what to look for and If i could get a quick run down of what types Like what kind of coolant etc. I'm sorry if this isnt coming out right. Plz add then I will hopefully be able to clarify.

CCATLETT1984

for engine oil I use Rotella 15w40 (every 3000miles) also change oil filter.
I change the fuel filter every other oil change.
use any regular antifreeze, you will want to have it flushed if it looks rusty colored.
both trans and transfer case use ATF, just top off the trans and tcase unless they look milky colored or smell burnt.

acetomatoco

Get your manuals for the CUCV and read them in bed for a coupla weeks..the Lube order will tell you what liquids you truck likes to consume and in which quantity.... ACE

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: Fluids on the 1028

mangus580 said:
Umm... I dont think any CUCVs came with a manual though....
Some 1028's came with the SM465 manual tranny. Not common but they're out there. I think all 1008 and 1009's were TH400's, not sure on the ambulances and box equipped trucks.

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Fluids on the 1028

I saw two when I was in. Sat around a lot because sadly, by the late 90's a lot of people couldn't drive a stick. Motor Pool decided it was easier to just leave those two around until an actual MT guy needed them. Everybody else from the squadron got one of the autos or a HMMWV.

I REALLY wanted one when I started CUCV shopping but was basically told I could wait for a year and not find one or two might show up the day after I buy mine, take my pick.

Swede

Thanks for the Info. Where can I find a manual for this truck, and would it be better if I tackled the Fluids deal myself?

AJMBLAZER

One advantage of these trucks is they aren't terribly hard to work on. You should be able to change all of the fluids by yourself at a FAR CHEAPER cost than any garage would charge you.

This would be a good time to put a drain plug in the transmission pan or get a whole new transmission pan that already has a drain plug as doing it once the old way is enough to make you want one.

hippiedude

go to the auto parts store and get one of those prestone kits .....rite on the shelf..really not much differernt than a civy truck.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks