• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Circuit Breakers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checking all my lights this afternoon for the trip to pick up my new trailer and found I had no tail lights. I've had this issue before and by simply wiggling the CB for the tail lights they'd work until I left it sitting for a couple of days. Well I went to try this little trick and discovered the CB is missing. I don't know if it was the AC shop or someone just randomly stopping by, pulling up my 100' long drive way, taking the dash apart, and then pocketing a trophy like Pokémon but it's missing. Since I have a 0430 departure time tomorrow morning it's kind of a burning issue.

So here's the question: what have others been using to replace CBs with? They're not something AutoZone has sitting around so would it be a big deal just to replace it with a 25 amp fuse? And if that's okay is it fine in the long run or just a temporary bandaid?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
A blade fuse works just fine. Just keep a spare on hand since its one use. You can steal a breaker from a less used spot and put the fuse in its place.
Will

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A blade fuse works just fine. Just keep a spare on hand since its one use. You can steal a breaker from a less used spot and put the fuse in its place.
Will
Unfortunately there's only a couple of 25 amp CBs and the tail lights and markers are 2 of them. I'll just start packing a handful of extra fuses and try that route for the time being. Any guidance on buying new replacements for the CBs?

coachgeo

Since Circuit breakers are basically a Fuse in concept right? Maybe I'm sucking on a bad egg here but if that is true .... knowing the trick presented in the two post below can give you more options to solve CB issues.

How/Why/When you can use a 24v Circuit Breaker in a 12V location and Visa Versa

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...Gen2-Details&p=1886190&viewfull=1#post1886190
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...Gen2-Details&p=1886274&viewfull=1#post1886274

Both above found in an AirCon thread... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ighlight=Circuit+Breaker+Forumula#post1886274

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Regardless of 12 or 24 volt and the breaker size if you have a dead short it will trip. There is some leeway in fuse or breaker sizing in the LMTVs. As long as you don't use a breaker with too low of a rating that normal operation causes it to trip.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CB are typically used when a slower reaction time is needed. It's not much of a difference but fuses are faster. When I worked for a bus manufacturer we used both dependent on the circuit needs. Most electrical panels would have what looked like a hodgepodge of both but it was by design.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Floridianson. Since this posting back in July I've just been running with a standard size blade fuse and have not had any issues. I actually prefer them to the "tripping all the time" circuit breakers. I haven't lost one yet but in case I do I've got a variety with me in the truck now.

IMG_4589.jpg

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going to go that route to but as Will said the one auction /bid sight had them 2 for 7 bucks so I stocked up. Free shipping to.