• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV door handle repair

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone come up with a good replacement for the trip lever on the earlier pull-up or pull-down door handles? The door handles in my 2004 M1088A1 had both been replaced at least once by the military before I got it (I assume due to broken trip levers). Passenger handle was broken again when I got it and drivers side just gave out. Both handles were missing on my parts truck when I got it from .gov and I have heard of other people experiencing the same issue.

It is a cast part and really thin where it breaks. It is a bad design and probably the major reason they went to the pull-forward handles.

coachgeo

The part broken on mine is what you actually tug on the outside to unlatch the door.... though there may be more broken inside I'm not aware of.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both of mine broke exactly where Rebuilders did. I found a machinist that is going to make me a set out of 4140. Hopefully I won't break the new ones :)

Rebuilder

Both of mine broke exactly where Rebuilders did. I found a machinist that is going to make me a set out of 4140. Hopefully I won't break the new ones
I got back too late... If the fancy machinist option doesn't work out I can whittle them out some random steel with an angle grinder if you want :).

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one broken on the handle part that you lift up on. When I try to fix it I may have to make a template of the part everyone else is having issues with for future repair. Thanks for the idea and proof it can be done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks