• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV with lockers?

four_by_ken

Lockers are too expensive for these trucks. :cookoo:
Yeah, $100,000 truck and they wont put $1500 of lockers in them.

well look at the deuces.. 99.9999999% of them are all open diffs along with the 5 ton. Lockers you brake things.
The difference lockers makes is completely worth the chances of breakage. If anyone disagrees with this... they dont understand, so I wont even start arguing the point.

four_by_ken

well unless your a government buyer.... I don't think your complaining is going to do anything.
This thread is not here to complain... it was to find out if it was an option since the axles were offered with traction aids available. And since these axles were mostly sold to the military, I would assume they would have used them.

I am not allowed to disagree (and express) with a decision of the military to not buy them?

saddamsnightmare

October 15th, 2010.

Gents:

Just my2cents worth....

I am not sure that lockers would do all that much for the FMTV's, given who or what might be driving them, under what conditions of service....? It's easier to pull a truck out with a wrecker or another truck, then it is to repair an axle under battlefield conditions.
I am pretty impressed with the S404.114 Unimog I have with mechanically locked hubs, BUT, BUT, BUT... YOU can stick even a Unimog, then you are in a mell of a hess to get it out.
The U1300L's are a better truck, pound for pound then the FMTV's, but Uncle rarely picks the best truck for the job, just the cheapest. I believe that even an upgraded 2-1/2 ton or 5 ton G742 or G744 series truck would have been a better deal then what we have, as the two older designs did have a reputation for durability under combat conditions....
Up-Armor an FMTV after it's built, you will come very close to overloading the front anxle. Up armor a 2-1/2 or 5 ton? The truck can still haul somewhat of a payload. Not based on my engineering background, which I don't have, just observation and knowing what the older girls did for Uncle in so many places.... I put my money on Unimogs and Deuces....
But, other then that, it IS just an opinion offered in good humor...fat lady sings

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks