• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV - you CAN own the predecessor

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just thought I'd post it...the FMTV are based on the Austrian STEYR truck design. Steyr is now owned by the German MAN. Steyr has endless experience in off-road and military truck applications and the Austrian armed forces bought the 12M18 (12 ton, Medium chassis, 180hp) as standard troop hauler and cargo truck, starting 1987.

You can see the similarity to the FMTV; the truck in my avatar is a 12M18. Same cab, same bed.

The first series are now slowly being surplussed; they were manufactured 1987 and up.
[url]http://www.armee-fahrzeuge.eu/trucks/_19.html [/url]
The page is in German, but the pictures are multilingual 8)

They have a 9 speed manual tranny and run about 65-70 mph. The engine is a Steyr Diesel 6 cyl. Not a neck-snapper by any means, but with the manual transmission these trucks are quite lively. 3 lockers are standard (front diff, middle diff to force both axles to spin at the same speed and rear diff).

The 12M18 truck is simple (as opposed to the FMTV) - no A/C, no auto tranny, no gadgets like CTIS.
Of course, the manufacturer will build, whatever the buyer specifies and wishes. They'd spray paint the trucks neon purple, if so ordered.

The units retail for about EUR 14.000. At that price, you get a clean one, with 40k miles or less. Winch trucks are also available - they have the winch mounted between the frame rails towards the rear of the truck; you can pull the cable out by the front, by the back or by the back over the cargo bed, which adds versatility.

Steyr partnered with Stewart and Stevenson for the US contracts; Steyr is actually still making the cabs for the FMTV, while most of the other components are made in the US.

If my description of the 12M18 reads enthusiastic....yes, I have driven them and I'd want one! :D

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can own an FMTV as well, if you're so inclined. And have a really thick wallet. I have seen two auctions for FMTV trucks on GL the past year, one was the victim of a severe rollover and the second burned to the frame. Still went for mucho dinero.

kcimb

Re: RE: FMTV - you CAN own the predecessor

maddawg308 said:
You can own an FMTV as well, if you're so inclined. And have a really thick wallet. I have seen two auctions for FMTV trucks on GL the past year, one was the victim of a severe rollover and the second burned to the frame. Still went for mucho dinero.
I don't think I'd want to own either...the steel on the second one is probably ruined, the first might have frame damage that would make restoration painful.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: FMTV - you CAN own the predecessor

with TXSG I did PMCS during training on some 900 series trucks. The CTIS was disconnected on all of them "CTIS only allows 50PSI and that makes them dangerous to handle and prone to roll over on the highway. We put 70PSI in the tires for road use. CTIS is for reduced tire pressure offroad on soft or uneven terrain." according to the motor pool SGT at the Wylie TX Armory. They have equipped all of the trucks with an ABS consisting of a trailer ABS kit. It has a disc fastened to the pinion flange in back and when the thing stops suddenly (lockup) it modulates the air pressure. This was said to help prevent spinouts and rollovers when the truck was unladen. Maybe they will let me drive one some day.. heh.. OTOH, they had some TXARNG guys out there trying to do PMCS on a M35A2. Three guys on one truck. Book open.. They had apparently not done it before, had no clue, and were trying to figure out what things were. Like the compressor belt. Their job was to change all the belts. I spent a few minutes explaining, told them about the wrench, and I hope it made their work easier.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a leadership failure to me.. Telling guys to go PMCS a truck that they have no experience with. The CoC needs to find a new job...

saddamsnightmare

June 15th, 2008.

OPCOM:

Sometime you're up in the Paris, TX area, come visit the Sam Bell Maxey House SHS, 812 S. Church Street,Paris, TX 75460 Tel:(903)758-5716. We're open 7 days a week 0800-1200&1300-1700. I work Wensday to Sunday, and you can figure when I'm around, there's either an M35A2 in 686A tan in the lot, or my 1963 Swiss Army S404.114 Unimog.....
The Unimog's going to be going to Dallas for some work on July 15th..... IF I'm very lucky and the mechanic's up to snuff, she should return home under her own power, to resume her duties around here.
That ought to make for a 3 or 4 hour run at best.....
I happened to visit Camp Maxey on my way back from Norman, OK with the M35A2 & M105A2. The TXANG troops found the simplicity of the deuce to be interesting, but without the computer program, I dou't if most of them could fix it..... There are a bunch of HEMTT variants in the area this week..... I wouldn't mind owning one, but I doubt if I could affort the fuel.....

Please give my regards to Mookie the cat, and do drop by sometime...

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules Gas Gen-Set APU MEP023A
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB :beer:

Alredneck

Banned
This is a lil off topic but same area did you guys ever hear a story about a bunch of buried guns and tanks and trucks and stuff being buried out there near Paris Tx some of it is or was on base and the rest is supposed to be in the park next to it when it got annexed to the state. I have heard stories of hunters seeing barrels sticking out of creek banks on ocassion and one of some guys finding a 55gal drum of M3 grease guns. But who knows. Supposedly it was war stock that had to be desposed of after WWII. In leads would be cool to. Watch out supposedly theres a sasquacth up there to if you like them stories as well. May have to dig up some guns to go hunt a bigfoot :lol:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that was Maxey, part of which is now the Pat Maise lake and a state park. I would not go digging as the other part of the story is alot of ammo was dumped as well.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Kyle,

I am rarely out towards Paris, but from time to time.. This year is the great texas balloon race (GTBR) at Gregg County Airport, that is about as close as I am getting this summer, at least in the deuce, and I am considering telling the TXSG that fuel is too much as we have a new commo trailer and someone else is towing it -this basically replaces the M35, unless they want to go through a couple ft of water -which I don't see it happening. It makes sense to use a privately owned trailer than anyone can pull, and make it all with corporate nonprofit funding. It just took a long time for them to get this concept moving along. Upside is the deuice does not have to be so "cojones to the wall" and "constantly ready for anything" now, so it might be losing some gear, gaining a simple bunk, and having a little more comfort installed.

The weather is getting too hot for my comfort any more. (need to put AC in the cab..) A friend of mine Charles Lassiter lives out that way, have not seen him in a while either. When the weather cools, I might take the truck out on a test road trip before the not quite planned fall trip, it would be interesting to visit the Sam Bell Maxey House and a good run for the beast. I've never seen the house before.

I'm thinking hard about the road trip this year, diesel is a bit costier than last year. I am considering running north to the border and back, so as to see Rushmore, the Dakotas, and so forth. It should be interesting all the hills.. the beast does not like those and I'm at the conservative pyro limits 1100 degrees/9PSI boost. OTOH it might be cheaper to stay home and put up a 50FT radio tower and a bunch of skyhooks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks