• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fog Machine for Leak Detection?

DampLemonade

My truck has a slow air leak I'd like to patch up and I would like to find it (or them, plural?) the easiest way possible.

It seems to lose about 30psi per day, or if I park it after a drive, the tanks will drain after about 3-4 days. I was thinking about making some kind of fog machine hookup and pressurizing the truck with my garage air compressor, through the red gladhand.

Is this a terrible idea? Not sure if the oils would hurt anything in the system, or if it'd be okay if I just filled & drained the tanks a couple times with fresh air after noting the leaky spots. I have quite a bit of traffic on my street so listening to hisses for air leaks would be tough. I'd also prefer to not have to crawl around with a bottle of soapy water, but maybe I'm just being lazy...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a VERY slow leak, it will be hard to pin point. I don't think a smoke machine will put enough pressure into the system to make it leak. Even using windex it will still be a tough one to find.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be a normal leakage of air for these trucks.
And it's a good idea to drain the air tanks when you are done for the day anyway, to blow out any moisture that may accumulate in the system. ;)

Cheers