• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Followed TM still cant find problem

choll

Im having a charging issue with my front battery everything checks out just like the TM says. Warthog was in town and he is also stumped. All the readings are what they should be, I replaced fuseable links bought new batteries, had the alt rebuilt twice. I have only a couple of dash lights that work, the "wait light" does not work but Ill be driving and it will flash on, and the heater fan does not work. That is everything dont know if they are inter related but wanted everyone to know. Can anyone shed some light on this!!!

Chuck

Patattack

if you can read a schematic i go throw that and check for shorts or bad grounds and power, i usully never go throw the tm throobleshoot sections it just a waste of time for me, but thats what i would do, i dont know if there related i never worked on a cucv and im waiting on mine from GL.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about the ground wire near the Parking Brake,under the dash? Is it there?, have you cleaned it?

Does your wire harness connector on the fire-wall look ok? Maybe it's time to clean it? Pretty sure all the items you listed, go through that connector.

dstang97

What about the ground wire near the Parking Brake,under the dash? Is it there?, have you cleaned it?

Does your wire harness connector on the fire-wall look ok? Maybe it's time to clean it? Pretty sure all the items you listed, go through that connector.
Doghead I thought that wire is for the Brake light? when parking brake is applied. or Am i missing something?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That wire is for the following:

4x4 Indicator Switch
Seatbelt Light
Seatbelt Buzzer
Voltmeter relay
Low Coolant Module

Even though the diagram doesn't show it, the dash lights are connect to it also.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Choll,

I have been thinking about the problem.

Let's try something.

Get another alternator plug and lets make a test jumper.

That the new plug, combine both wires into one and add a length of wire to reach the 12v terminal on the firewall. Put an aligator clip on the end.

Unplug the old plug, install the new "jumper" and connect it to the 12v terminal.

Start the truck and check for 14.4v at the front battery

This will bypass all the truck wiring

stampy

Clean all your connections and apply sparingly dielectric grease to the male point on the fitting or fuse. This will fix a lot of intermittent issues.

choll

Warthog how was your trip back?? Going to try that idea now going to parts store will update soon. the 12v term
is where it is currently connected correct?

choll

I am so frustrated with this!!! I hate to say it but a 12v conversion might be on the way using the rear battery. I have a 12 volt starter in the grage from a previous conversion. This will be the first time I/We havent solved a problem with one of these trucks.

davidkroberts

your front battery is controlled by the drivers side alt which will not charge if it doesnt get the signal through the alt plug.

Im not sure what you have checked and what you havent

1. Is the alt charging at all when running on the truck
2. does it bench test out okay
3. is the alt plug showing power on the positive side
4. Is any power getting to the power block beside the glowplug replay and how are the connections

davidkroberts

I had a similar problem a few M1009's ago and it ended up being the connection at the power block beside the glowplug relay. The connection looked okay but it was just the insulation the wire itself was burned out to being nonconductive. It was still not hitting the Gen 1 Light but the current wasnt making it back to the battery from the Gen1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks