• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

For those who have painted their trucks with bedliner.

thoner7

I know many of your cringe at the thought, but still.

For those of you who have painted a truck in bedliner:
- what brand did you use?
- how much material did you use?
- did you do a hard top and/or doors too?
- did you do inside as well? Again how much material etc.
- what prep did you do to the carc?
- would you do it again?

Autonomy_Lost

I would personally never put bedliner on a humvee. I feel like bedliner on anything but a truck bed is a fad. People will look back on it and say "can you believe people used to paint bedliner on EVERYTHING!?"

Also I'm pretty sure its a one way street, I doubt you'll ever be able to fully remove it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I know many of your cringe at the thought, but still.

For those of you who have painted a truck in bedliner:
- what brand did you use?
- how much material did you use?
- did you do a hard top and/or doors too?
- did you do inside as well? Again how much material etc.
- what prep did you do to the carc?
- would you do it again?
Well, again there are all kinds of opinions... I have a M1089. Stewart & Stevenson with a fiberglass grille. Old age was working on it and I needed a fix for the "hairy" look. The gel coat had deteriorated and it was time to spend a lot of time sanding and painting - or a Quick Fix.

I went with the Quick Fix. Low effort quick sand by hand, then sprayed it with Dupli-Color (Bedliner) from NAPA. It has been over a year and it still looks as good as the day I did it. AND it keeps me from getting fiberglass splinters in my hands. Did the same thing to the battery box top on that same truck a few weeks later.

Cost for a 16.5 ounce rattle can was $22. One can painted the grille and the battery box top with (guessing) a half a can still here on the shelf.

Last edited:

thoner7

I plan to use Durabak on my interior as they have a smooth option without texture. If it goes well I will use it on the exterior too. If not, I can get raptor liner in 685 desert tan on Amazon. Problem will be ordering enough, but not too much. So if anyone can give me an idea on quantities, that would be great

I hope to end up with a color/texture similar to stock 686 tan. The Durabak “sand” color looks like a near perfect match. My only concern is the satin sheen of duraback. Here this is my goal for looks:

The Durabak is moisture cure (like POR15) and I believe will be super tough. It’s used by the Navy and performs excellent in a number of YouTube comparisons I’ve watched.

Another big benefit is it acts as a sound deadener (think dynamat or lizard skin). Although they don’t have literature on it I’ve read a number of reviews on this site about how well it works. 2 birds one stone - hopefully saving me money on sound deadening stuff.

I also plan to add ceramic beads to the Durabak, they are designed for heat insulation by NASA and mixes with paint. Online reviews show 10 degree drop in service temps with only one coat. It’s $60 for enough to beads to mix with 5 gallons of paint. If I do the inside of the tub and the roof I’ll be very happy. 3 birds 1 stone.

At the risk of necro-ing an old thread, Raptor liner is pretty popular in the non-MV offroading world. I haven't painted a vehicle with it, but I have used it over baltic birch to make a rear seat platform and I'm considering the sacrilege of painting an LMTV or MTV cab in it...

20220501_163939 export.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks