• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fording kits

DanMartin

Apparently these are scarcer than hens teeth...basically all used up.

If you're not into "authentic" fording kits, there's a few articles on this site discussing making your own kits from off-the-shelf parts. A few of these are actually improvements over the standard-issue stuff. It's not hard to do really...the truck is set up for it. A few hundred in parts and some creativity and you could have your own fording kit going.

I recommend the search function to find the articles in question.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: fording kit

Mine came off some CUCV site several years ago.Not currently installed.But it will go back on.I have only seen 2 for sale.Mine and I guess Blakes cause I remember one on Ebay a few years ago.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Some deuces have parts of the fording kit "factory" installed, my USMC '68 M49A2C, for example. The hard-to-find stuff, like the fording handle, low pressure regulator, air tank check valve and associated plumbing was installed, leaving only the hoses for air intake, compressor and crankcase breather. Point is, check your truck, you may have more than you think.

kurtkds

Is there a TM out there that would show what all goes with the fording kit?

I looked through the TM's but nothing really stood out.

I'll continue looking through the Tm's that I have to see if their buried in there some where.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: fording kit

kurtkds said:
Is there a TM out there that would show what all goes with the fording kit?

I looked through the TM's but nothing really stood out.

I'll continue looking through the Tm's that I have to see if their buried in there some where.
TM 9-2320-209-20P (1976) figures 341 and 342 cover it.

FrankUSMC

I have several fording kit air pipe assemblies like the one in Blakes photo, but, I do not know if they are for the M35, or the M35A2 models. Maybe on his next run here Garbee will help me ID the pipes.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

jwaller

Re: RE: fording kit

FrankUSMC said:
I have several fording kit air pipe assemblies like the one in Blakes photo, but, I do not know if they are for the M35, or the M35A2 models. Maybe on his next run here Garbee will help me ID the pipes.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
I would like to buy one if you wish to sell one.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 kits. One i've installed on my M35 and the other is going on my M52. Now that i've got the right snorkle for the 52. I have the blueprints that came with the kits and the parts list also. I don't have anyway to scan them, mabye some one here could scan and post them here if yall want the info? There are alot of fittings and hoses and i've tracked down most of the parts. Believe it or not most of the parts you can get from grainger. They have a adjustible regulator that goes down to 2PSI. And the dash valve is the same for the airshift T-case.

JR

kurtkds said:
I can scan and post them if you'd like.

I've noticed that the TM is missing some descriptions on the parts list too.
I was just looking at the one I found on google and I noticed that too, would you mind posting them? I didnt realize there was a ton of stuff involved for fording kit, I was planning on assembling my own, I thought it would be just raising the intake, compressor and breather, 2 or 300 parts ?!? What else is there? Also how deep can you go with no mods at all?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JR said:
I was just looking at the one I found on google and I noticed that too, would you mind posting them? I didnt realize there was a ton of stuff involved for fording kit, I was planning on assembling my own, I thought it would be just raising the intake, compressor and breather, 2 or 300 parts ?!? What else is there? Also how deep can you go with no mods at all?
If you can find the issues, look for articles related to fording the deuce in Military Vehicles Magazines #93 Oct 2002, #98 Aug 2003 and #107 Feb 2005.

kurtkds

Well I'm building my own Fording kit after the flooding we had a couple of weeks ago. The only "stock" item is the air switch on the dash. I've added the indicator light for that switch too. I'm planning on plumbing the axles and tranny and xfer case into the pressurized system. I've also changed the elbow for the slobber tube, I put together a "T" with a 1/2" valve on the bottom attached to a hose that is routed behind and below the front axle to keep it clean.

The only question that I have right now is where the vent line that goes from the fuel tank and master cylinder terminates. Currently it stops above the air cleaner.

I'm thinking about either drilling and taping a hole in the top of the air filter housing and using a flare fitting or putting a "T" in the slobber tube and tying in there.

Anybody got pics of that vent line and where it goes?

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks