• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Rucker trucker

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well as the old adage goes "no good deed goes unpunished."

I decided to leave my comfort zone and go to Fort Rucker to pick up a deuce for Ryan77 who resides in the "Land of Northern Aggression".

Rucker is an unmanned GL site and the GL Rep (whom we shall get to know better) is only there on Wednesdays.

I began laying my plans a few weeks ago to make this recovery and thought I had everything covered.

Me and the Boss Lady left Tuesday evening and found a "no tell motel" that had a minimum amount of vermin.

We got up today and got onto the base with no problem and it was at that time Mr. Murphy made is first appearence......I had forgotten the written directions that I had got from "Doc" the GL rep.

We stopped at the Aviation Museum and I called Doc and got the directions again......we found the GL site and waited for Doc. See pics.

While I was there I met another SS member from GA but his name escapes me for the moment. He was there picking up a "CUCV of many colors".

Doc is a standup GL guy and was stepping and fetching getting vehicles loaded out.

We slaved off the deuce and got it loaded on the trailer and cut a trail for the home LZ.

Things were going too well and about halfway home a tire on the trailer blew. Murphy had laid his plans well......I had forgotten to swap the spare from the Boss Lady's horse trailer over to the lowboy and also had no jack.

We were right between Nowhere and Nowhere else and the only garage in the sprawling megalopolios of Rockford, AL did not have tire repair ability.

We finally found a tire shop that did road service and 275 bucks later we were on the road again.

The remainder of the trip was uneventful and I'm sure Murphy is still chuckling over his days work.

Tomorrow I'll offload the deuce and start prepping it since Ryan is going to drive it back to Chicago.

He is supposed to be here Friday afternoon and do a "turn and burn" back to his LZ.

He'll be posting a thread with his route and timeline so if anybody can be on standby for assistance I'm sure he would appreciate it.

Here are some pics for your amusement and enjoyment.

Attachments

flibob

WM thanks for the pics. Spent some time down in LA (lower alabama) during the big one (Vietnam). I'll keep an eye out this weekend for the duece if he needs help.

3dAngus

Where's all the Huey's UH-1s? Back in my day, that was the big thing, and the most popular flyers of the day. I had several friends go to flight school there on them.

Anyway... that **** Murphy!

Glad you made it back OK.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if Ryan breaks down between Knoxville and Cincy on 75, we will be up that way on Wednesday.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Link not working for me ryan. We'll be around. PM if you want number and other contact info. Be safe and leave "Murphy" down South.
God bless,
Tony:D