• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found a couple towbars, but what are they?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jdobyns and myself stopped at Colemans PA for a little junkyard crawling the other day. Found a few towbars that we thought were medium towbars, and we jumped for joy! But upon looking at them, there were a few things not right. Same basic size and weight of a non-entended medium towbar, same lunette size. However arms were solid, did not extend. The ends where the "feet" normally go had a 1-pronged attachment point, horizontal to the towing plane, rather than the two that are vertical to the towing plane, as a normal medium would have. Pin size on the "foot" end is 1-3/4" approximately.

I'd love to find out what this fits. We didn't pick them up, thinking we may have passed up a deal, but since we weren't sure what they fit, we didn't want to blow money on something meant for a piece of armor/equipment noone here owns.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The odd end looks like the ends of the crane boom supports for the wreckers. Dunno!

rdixiemiller

I've seen something like that on a military bomb cart, the kind that can be hooked together into a train and pulled by an airport tug type vehicle. The towbars came off and could be folded for stowing.
These would be great material to build a towbar for a deuce or other MV. Cut off the "feet" and make up the inner slide pieces. Or, just weld on the correct ends to fit the normal towbar adapters. You often find pieces of medium towbars, maybe this would be good material to build up one.
Price would be important.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't ask. Could be expensive. I'll go back and check on it and see what they say when they are back open on Monday. If the price is fair to good, I'll buy a few to play with. If the price is $200 or more apiece, I'll pass.

AMG - are you certain this is what the M123 uses? Got a pic from the M123 manuals?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brandon, I have the '66 operator's manual and for whatever reason that towbar is not shown.
IMHO, the towbar in the image above looks awfully small for a 10 tonner.

I'll sell you my heavy 80 inch set (no adapters) if you are interested. :) Delivery to Aberdeen included. PM me if so.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did see one recently-arrived heavy towbar at Colemans on Friday. Had the heavy feet too, but I didn't think there would be anyone here who would need one, so I left it there.

Pinkie

AMG, the tow bar shown in the manual are not the ones we saw. Cranetruck, there was one tow bar there like yours but not the ones in question. I do not think we have solved this question yet.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I love that hat......is it possum fur. :lol:
Who let you out of the house like that :shock:
I thought my wife dressed me funny. :)

All kidding aside that is a great yard. I hope all members freely share their "green iron" stashes.
Since I will be at Fort Benning, GA for a while I intend to get out and do a lot of prospecting. Hunting should be good that close to a major military installation.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait - I have a brainblast! What are the pin sizes for those heavy towbar adapters? If it's 1-3/4", the towbars may be medium towbars meant to work with heavy feet. Possible?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my tb from heII has adaptors with 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 holes, im looking for adaptors with 1 1/2 x 1 holes.

Wayne told me the adptors he has are 1 1/2 x 2 1/4

M1075

Re: RE: Found a couple towbars, but what are they?

73m819 said:
my tb from heII has adaptors with 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 holes, im looking for adaptors with 1 1/2 x 1 holes.

Wayne told me the adptors he has are 1 1/2 x 2 1/4
What about paprecru's adapters above. They look like 1 1/2 x 1.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks