• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found an M51 shelter in TN

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An M51 became available here in E. TN. and I got it yesterday. This M51 appears complete, and possibly never deployed since refurb years ago. Found tags such as 'preservative oil in engine', batteries removed 1996, and other parts 'preserved'.

One thing is for sure, one person cannot do much to deploy these!! Even dropping the tailgate and shelter package would result in you all never hearing from me again. Heavy stuff.

It has been sitting with no protection from the elements for at least 10 years. The top cover is shot (looking for another! have you parted one out?), and was not shedding rain, so there's lots of water and rust under it. It was still draining water when I arrived home last night after 3 hours on the road. Squirrels had a nest inside so there will be damage from that.

At this time I don't know if it's a good find or a collection of damaged parts and pieces. Looking forward to learning about it. The tires are still viable, only tiny weather cracks, and held up for a few hour trip home with no bearing heating.

There are several threads on SS about the M51 system, all good reading. I'm most intrigued with the idea of setting up just the tent and filling it with a leaf blower. That would be fast gratification :smile:

With some luck the mechanical stuff, engine (28 hours), etc, will be ok. The trailer itself has some joint rust, some of which is perforated, so the trailer is usable but not as good as most M-105's found on GL.

Photos soon, after it's cleaned up!

Bob

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting units for sure.When Wreckerman893 was kind of a new guy around here, he stumbled into a chache of a them. He parted quite a few but did bring one of the bounce houses to a GA Rally. I wasn't granted entry after noting that it would be great for throwing star competition.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks